OK. After a long day at the DAW, I am pretty much finished with the bass track. I might duplicate the track and add effects and then blend the two, with the goal of adding some overtones to the fundamentals. I spent a lot of time today, manually moving along the timeline and zooming in on 'problem' sections. There were unwanted noises in between the notes, so I compulsively eliminated them. For example, in one section there was a droning E string. Another section had a squeaky string noise. When I was compressing the track, I also expanded downward, so that sounds quieter than -40dB were made even quieter, but there was still some stuff remaining. At one point I limited the track too severely and this created a little bit of distortion- barely noticeable, but still audible, so I un-did it. Instead, I used a couple passes of compression, one very gentle and one more severe, with good results. The bass track sounds so much tighter now with a consistent level. I also went slowly through the track and manually raised levels of certain specific notes that were slightly weak. Lastly, I cut some highs and cut some sub bass. The track fits in well with the dense arrangement. ...Next, EQ'ing the kick drum. Tomorrow....and then the snare track.