Your least favourite composer

It's all very easy to announce the composers you do like and who your favourites are. You don't have to justify your taste. No-one is going to challenge you. However, if you were to say: "I particularly dislike ______". It's inevitable that somebody will ask you: "Why not?" ....especially if the composer is of some renown. My former A'level composition tutor, Arthur Butterworth always had a good word for any composer that I'd mention, except......... Mahler! He conceded that the man was supremely gifted and one of the best orchestrators of his generation, but his music would leave him cold. He couldn't stand it. My university composition tutor at university, Piers Helliwell, felt the same way about Phillip Glass (although justifying that particular dislike is a lot easier than justifying a dislike for Mahler) and Italian Baroque music such as Vivaldi and Scarlatti (as did Stravinsky). So, are there any famous composers out there that freeze you up, and you just can't put your finger on it? Especially composers whose contemporaries, you DO like. I'll start you off with my least favourite composer (that everybody else seems to like)................. Rachmaninov. Can't stand him.

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Fred, You have to be one of the funniest people that I have never met. My kind of humor. This discussion exemplifies how subjective and personal music is and our individual interpretation of what is good and bad.

I actually love Mahler, Rachmaninoff, Chopin, Liszt and JS Bach. Phillip Glass, not so much, alot of the repetitive arpeggios are boring as hell (except Yngwie of course).

Mahler and Rachmaninoff may have been a little to ass upright as far as chops and busy-ness in the score, but they evoke feelings and emotions in the same way that the simplicity of a Chopin Nocturne may do the same.

I don't particularly like Baroque composers (have your pick) but that is more of a period and style. But I have also had friends say Chopin or Sibelius sucks. I have gone on to show them pieces they were not familiar with and most of the time they liked them.

Fredrick zinos said:
    Simon mentioned CPE (Carl Philip Emanuel) Bach. And of course there was WF Bach. I don't know if i've related the story before, but in the halcyon days of my youth I studied the many non-musical sons of JS Bach

There was
    CPA Bach, an accountant
    CPR Bach, a para medic
    CPU Bach, a computer repair person
    CLU Bach, an insurance salesman.. (this son of a Bach actually did write some music but its all polytonal and way complicated)

and a few others

But my favorite was the Bach boy who moved to America, Virginia in fact, and became a tobacco farmer

LSMFT Bach
    Your least favourite composer
    It's all very easy to announce the composers you do like and who your favourites are. You don't have to justify your taste. No-one is going to challe…
  • You forgot the one Schwarzenneger played... Al B. Bach.

For me, I've got a particular dislike for John Cage, but this thread is about composers, so I'll have to come up with someone else... I'll have to say Hindemith. He wrote a few things I can tolerate, but they are more than offset by things I can't stand.

Fredrick zinos said:
    Simon mentioned CPE (Carl Philip Emanuel) Bach. And of course there was WF Bach. I don't know if i've related the story before, but in the halcyon days of my youth I studied the many non-musical sons of JS Bach

There was
    CPA Bach, an accountant
    CPR Bach, a para medic
    CPU Bach, a computer repair person
    CLU Bach, an insurance salesman.. (this son of a Bach actually did write some music but its all polytonal and way complicated)

and a few others

But my favorite was the Bach boy who moved to America, Virginia in fact, and became a tobacco farmer

LSMFT Bach
  • I'm no fan Clint Eastwood's musical film scores. Mr Eastwood does his films no favors by trying to make the soundtrack for them as well as direct, act and whatever else. The music is transparent and only because it is played on a piano has it any place in the films. The piano is an emotive instrument.
    disclaimer: i have never studied music and i do not know many composers
This reply was deleted.