Your FIVE favorite composers.

Yes, I did say five.
You do not have to say why.
Just put them in order from favorite to fifth favorite.

1. Beethoven
2. Tchaikovsky
3. Frank *EDIT* Franck (sorry, I never spell his name correctly)
4. Liszt
5. Schubert

If your opinions differ (by that I mean if you hate a composer that someone else loves), please be civil in your arguments. That is more of a reminder for me than a request for you :)

Since I can still edit my list (hehehehe) I have a new one

1. Beethoven

2. Tchaikovsky

3. Strauss, R.

4. Shostakovitch

5. Barber for his Adagio (I've only heard that one piece by him)/ Mozart (For Sym. 40, Eine Kleine, violin+viola duets, Mass, and Requiem)

HM Liszt

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 1. I'm going to go ahead and list all 3 of the "Crazy Russians" as this Igor Stravinsky, Sergei Prokofiev and Dmitri Shostakovich.. I can't decide!

2. Maurice Ravel

3. Steve Reich

4. Gustav Mahler

5. George Crumb

• Stravinsky - His orchestral movements are absolutely brilliant.

Chopin - His piano etudes are simply beautiful

Alkan - his technicality and use of chords exceeds anything else I've ever heard

Wyschnegradsky - His microtonal music is pure and beautiful

Beethoven - He changed music

These can be moved around depending on the day

• You won't get an argument from me:)

Ryland Lafferty said:

Stravinsky - His orchestral movements are absolutely brilliant.

Chopin - His piano etudes are simply beautiful

Alkan - his technicality and use of chords exceeds anything else I've ever heard

Wyschnegradsky - His microtonal music is pure and beautiful

Beethoven - He changed music

These can be moved around depending on the day

Yes, I did say five. You do not have to say why. Just put them in order from favorite to fifth favorite. 1. Beethoven 2. Tchaikovsky 3. Frank *EDIT*…
  • Current favorites, list changes hourly:

1. Vaughn Williams

2. Puccini

3. Delius

4. Faure

5. Dvorak

• Only five? That's hard... Difficult to decide whether to make my list based on the complete or best works - save Bach, that really makes a difference!

1. J.S. Bach (everything)

2. Frédéric Chopin (more ambitious works like 2nd & 3rd sonata's, Etudes, Ballades) 

3. César Franck (Chamber music)

4. Maurice Ravel (OMG)

5. Antonio Lotti (his Crucifixus a 8 is a pinnacle in music history)

This is a disaster: no room for Mozart, Beethoven, Fauré, Martin, Brahms, Schubert ...

• You know, I need to put a mention out to Frank Martin (Dutch composer). I love is piano concertos
  • Frank Martin was actually Swiss, although he lived an important part of his creative life in Naarden, The Netherlands. For me, his most important work is the 8 Préludes he wrote for Dinu Lipatti. I can't see any other 20th century solo piano work that's more profound.

Pepper Williams said:
    You know, I need to put a mention out to Frank Martin (Dutch composer). I love is piano concertos
    Yes, I did say five. You do not have to say why. Just put them in order from favorite to fifth favorite. 1. Beethoven 2. Tchaikovsky 3. Frank *EDIT*…
  • I stand corrected. In any event, I love his work!

Frans Wentholt said:
    Frank Martin was actually Swiss, although he lived an important part of his creative life in Naarden, The Netherlands. For me, his most important work is the 8 Préludes he wrote for Dinu Lipatti. I can't see any other 20th century solo piano work that's more profound.

Pepper Williams said:
    You know, I need to put a mention out to Frank Martin (Dutch composer). I love is piano concertos
  • Five is really hard ...

Anyway:

JS Bach

Mahler

Bartók

Schönberg

Messiaen

• The number 1 choice never changes, but the others are rather fluid:

1.  Beethoven

2.  Chopin

3.  Bruch

4.  Franck (especially the Last Seven Words)

5.  Gorecki (if only for his 3rd Symphony, which is brilliant)

This reply was deleted.