Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

I wrote this composition for flute, clarinet in B and bassoon. I produced the track as a live performance simulation with few sound effects, tweeks... Enjoy.

Views: 67

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, the 6 people in the (mock) audience seemed to like it!

This is not a style of writing that I personally could get to enjoy....but you don't want to hear that because it's about me, not you. So, may I enquire what software you used to compose it on? I'm not at all convinced by the ensemble....particularly the arpeggios in the bassoon which can barely be heard.

There is a lack of form to this - it all seems a bit amorphous and 'samey' and there is missing any clearly defined climactic moments...it's all a bit grey.

But, mayhap there is a purpose to all this when considering the title of the piece...who knows, apart from you of course.

With a name like yours I reckon you should one day achieve great success.

Many thanks for posting.

Thank you for the feedback and listening.

Stephen Lines said:

Well, the 6 people in the (mock) audience seemed to like it!

This is not a style of writing that I personally could get to enjoy....but you don't want to hear that because it's about me, not you. So, may I enquire what software you used to compose it on? I'm not at all convinced by the ensemble....particularly the arpeggios in the bassoon which can barely be heard.

There is a lack of form to this - it all seems a bit amorphous and 'samey' and there is missing any clearly defined climactic moments...it's all a bit grey.

But, mayhap there is a purpose to all this when considering the title of the piece...who knows, apart from you of course.

With a name like yours I reckon you should one day achieve great success.

Many thanks for posting.

With a name like that I just had to listen (I worked in the mental healthy field). It sure sounded real to me, but then I'm probably easy to impress. The production is excellent. As for the music itself, I liked it. Mr. Lines commented that it lacked form, but I disagree. After Debussy's Prelude A L'Apres-Midi D'Un Faune, I think it has been established that form that can be quite amorphous indeed, and still be considered musical. I was also impressed by the attention to detail in the writing, with great care taken to shape the notes as to length and dynamic level. That stuff really makes a difference, and is not easy to achieve in sampled work. Very nice!

Hi Nenapro,

I hear some interesting sounds in this, particularly some interesting harmonies, but it feels to me way too slow. I would suggest that if you experiment with trying it at a much faster pace, you may find yourself thinking about it in a whole different way. 

Best -

Gav

I don't write in traditional forms, it's just not my style. I was always terrible in analysing music forms even at the college, i don't like that. For me the main thing is the melody, harmony and the story behind the music. More like a background stuff for film, animation and so on. Thanks for taking time to listen.
michael diemer said:

With a name like that I just had to listen (I worked in the mental healthy field). It sure sounded real to me, but then I'm probably easy to impress. The production is excellent. As for the music itself, I liked it. Mr. Lines commented that it lacked form, but I disagree. After Debussy's Prelude A L'Apres-Midi D'Un Faune, I think it has been established that form that can be quite amorphous indeed, and still be considered musical. I was also impressed by the attention to detail in the writing, with great care taken to shape the notes as to length and dynamic level. That stuff really makes a difference, and is not easy to achieve in sampled work. Very nice!

Thank you for the feedback Gav.

Gav Brown said:

Hi Nenapro,

I hear some interesting sounds in this, particularly some interesting harmonies, but it feels to me way too slow. I would suggest that if you experiment with trying it at a much faster pace, you may find yourself thinking about it in a whole different way. 

Best -

Gav

Similar comments except that at a low volume it came over peacefully. Its dirge-like qualities didn't deter me. I recall a similar piece of Stravinsky that frankly bored me - not so, this one. The piece is only  4 minutes+ length. If it were the slow movement of say a three-movement trio it would fit in well. 

I easily get bored with when i write long pieces for one or few same intruments, the idea was to be a standalone movement. Thanks for listening.

Dane Aubrun said:

Similar comments except that at a low volume it came over peacefully. Its dirge-like qualities didn't deter me. I recall a similar piece of Stravinsky that frankly bored me - not so, this one. The piece is only  4 minutes+ length. If it were the slow movement of say a three-movement trio it would fit in well. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service