Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

It is winter here in NYC very cold but still beautiful.

This is my performance of my latest work for solo piano

Winter's Dream

Regards,

Saul

Views: 108

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Saul, I love this! Its is well written, with a beautiful and sensitive performance. I would like it even better with less reverb, but very well done!

Lovely, and I can feel the chill.

Saul, I join James exactly in his assesment. It is wonderful in it's Chopin-like tranquil atmosphere and your wonderful playing. , but I also would use less reverb. In the middle I would maybe build in a more contrasting lamenting part in minor ...

Gerd

Thank you James, Harmonius and Gerd for your kind comments and suggestions they are all worthy.

In the meantime  I created an acoustic version for strings harp and classical acoustic guitar. I tend to like this version more then the piano. What are your thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Saul

James Gilmour said:

Saul, I love this! Its is well written, with a beautiful and sensitive performance. I would like it even better with less reverb, but very well done!

This is a difficult decision because I am usually somewhat prejudiced towards the first version of a piece that I hear. But, if I can get beyond that, I feel that the starkness of the piano version is more dreamlike and evocative. Also, I think the harp and guitar are too similar sounding to be paired in such a small ensemble. I want to hear more difference/character in these voices.

The heavy reverb in the piano version does not bother me as I think it contributes to the dreamlike character and also suggests a feeling of isolation which is all too common these days.

Saul,

Although I like them both, I much prefer the piano version. To, me, the piano version somehow seems like the "true voice" of the piece, if that does not sound too mystical. The two versions have quite a different character, in my mind. In the string/harp/guitar, it seems like perhaps the strings overbalance the other two parts, and the slower attack of the strings makes it seem slightly out of sync to me. It would be interesting to see a if a bit of a negative delay on the strings and an adjustment of the balance would help.

Thanks for sharing!

Saul Gefen said:

Thank you James, Harmonius and Gerd for your kind comments and suggestions they are all worthy.

In the meantime  I created an acoustic version for strings harp and classical acoustic guitar. I tend to like this version more then the piano. What are your thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Saul

James Gilmour said:

Hi Saul,

it's a pleasant enough piece but I found the orchestral part overbearing, lacking variation in dynamics and tessitura; and somewhat heavily balanced against the piano. But...if you like it as it is... please disregard these comments. It sounded better at a very low volume.

I don't know whether its my computer or not but in wanting to mention things at a couple of timings, I couldn't slide the "soundtrack" display back...well, it does slide back but doesn't take the music with it, which goes on playing without pause. And them I clicked the pause button and it blanked to the basic soundcloud window while still going on playing. I'm about to find out whether it's me or not!

Haven't tried the alternative version yet.

I think this a very beautiful piano miniature, and found it both relaxing, and  it captures the atmosphere of the title. I like some of the slight unusual twists to the harmonies near the end too. Delightful playing tone as well. I would very much enjoy playing this myself !

Hi Harmonius, James, Dane and Suzanne,

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I tend to agree that when it comes to music there would be different opinions about many aspects of it. The playing, the technical issues, the tone etc...For a composer I believe one of the most challenging things is to be impartial in the judgment of the piece. Because after for the composer the music is an expression of their feelings, thoughts, their very self. So when they listen to their own music they have a slightly biased opinion about it, the listener has a more objective perspective. 

Needless to say at times the truth will reside with the composer and at times with the listeners. To my ear the Orchestral part sounds richer and not only in tone but also in expression. But as others have suggested more work can be done to make it even better. About the Synchronization, to my ears it didn't sound off, but will give it more listening and evaluation, perhaps there is an issue with it, can't hear it right now because I played it in concert to the main melody and whatever may seem as a sync error was actually done on purpose please refer to second 36 of the first minute, the string section was delayed on purpose to give way for the strings to begin the phrase, and not because of an error in Synchronization. 

Suzanne,

Thank you for the interest in performing this but there is still no cohesive score written for this except the midi translation score which is not reflective of the piece. However if I do decide to write this down I would let you know. This particular work was basically creating the main themes on the piano and then recording them, its a sort of a hybrid between classical composition and improvisation, and I have plenty of works that I created using this medium. But also have many works, especially piano works that were written in a traditional manner with the scores ready to be performed by pianists. 

Regards,

Saul

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service