Hello all,

It's chilly outside where I am (Baltimore) and the winter wind is starting to blow. So it's time to propose a new contest! "Winter Music" - write a piece of music which invokes the idea of winter. Any instrumentation, length between 1-5 minutes. In order for this contest to be a go, I'd like to see at least 10 composers on this site sign up for it. If 10 composers sign up by Nov. 30, the contest is a go! You can sign up by replying to this thread or PM'ing me privately (if we are not friends already, send a friend request and I will accept). You don't have to submit your work by Nov. 30, you only have to express interest to participate by then, details about contest deadlines will appear after the contest is a go. Voting will be by the members of this site!

Hope to hear from you!

Gav

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hey Paul, I guess I'm a bit more old fashion when it comes to things like that.

I put mine in a brown paper bag and light it on the doorstep of my least

favorite neighbor, then ring the doorbell and run.    RS        raunchy stuff

Paul Smith said:

Just let it ferment for a little while, then you can hurl it at all those who don't like it. This approach generally works for me.

Kristofer Emerig said:

I like the title. Goes well with my current holiday music project: "An Oozing, Steaming Cowpie of Tonal Missteps"

Paul Smith said:

"A big meaty chud of tonal familiarity."

"Winter Music" Contest - DEADLINE OVER, CONTEST CLOSED, VOTING HAS BEGUN
    Hello all, It's chilly outside where I am (Baltimore) and the winter wind is starting to blow. So it's time to propose a new contest! Winter Music…
  • Paul LOL I think you may have started a new naming trend! Contest deadline is 11/30 at 5 pm EST!

Paul Smith said:

I've got :58 of pastiche-crap laid out pretty solidly already. A big meaty chud of tonal familiarity. Lol, I can take it easy! 

Hello all, It's chilly outside where I am (Baltimore) and the winter wind is starting to blow. So it's time to propose a new contest! Winter Music…
  • Ah, that old tried and true standby (if they're smart, that is!)... In truth, I'm happy about the extra time. I have an almost unfailing tendency to write myself into corners that need plenty of musings on prior material in the piece and false restarts in order to sort themselves out. I don't expect this time to be any different...

roger stancill said:

Hey Paul, I guess I'm a bit more old fashion when it comes to things like that.

I put mine in a brown paper bag and light it on the doorstep of my least

favorite neighbor, then ring the doorbell and run.    RS        raunchy stuff

Paul Smith said:

Just let it ferment for a little while, then you can hurl it at all those who don't like it. This approach generally works for me.

Kristofer Emerig said:

I like the title. Goes well with my current holiday music project: "An Oozing, Steaming Cowpie of Tonal Missteps"

Paul Smith said:

"A big meaty chud of tonal familiarity."

• Gav, is there any option of extending the 5-minute limit? Maybe I'm just too verbose, but I have some winter poems which, set to music, are likely to exceed this by a minute or two.

Puh-leeeezzze, pretty please??

John

• Hello John, it's ok.

• There are now 12 composers entered into the contest! Deadline to express interest (but not to submit an entry) is Sunday, November 30 at 5 pm EST. You can express interest by replying to this thread or sending me a private message. Hope you all have a good Turkey day!

• Why not? I'm in.

• Thanks Jontom! Welcome aboard as #13!

• I'd like to join in.
  • Welcome Michael, you are #14!

This reply was deleted.