Windows 7

Hello Together, I want to buy a new PC which should only be used for music. Does anyone know if it makes any difference if I use the windows 7 professional, home or basic version ??? Thank you Simon

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello Ray,

Thank you for answering.

I think I will go for the professional, because I found out that with this version you can go up with the ram more than with the homeversion.. I will have Cubase 5 studio on it.. :o)

Thanks again

Simon
  • If you plan to use remote desktop for connecting to slave computers...

All editions of Windows 7 include Remote Desktop Connection.

* You can use Remote Desktop to initiate a connection from any edition of Windows 7.
    * You can connect to computers running Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, or Windows 7 Enterprise.
    * You can't use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to computers running Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Basic, or Windows 7 Home Premium.

And if you plan to use multiple monitors...

In Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 7 Enterprise editions, Remote Desktop Connection supports the use of multiple high-resolution displays in a remote session.

However, there are other programs like TightVNC the might work
  • Thank you for that information.

I will not use slave computers.. but it's good to know for the case one day I will get the chance to do so :o)

Thank You
    Simon
  • What's the difference between the home version and the other versions and is it noticeable for most people?
  • http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare

there is not that much difference according to this chart

I've spent the last 3 months traveling the upper midwest in the US upgrading different systems in different stores my company contracts with and it seems the most noticeable difference from home and the others is support for domains and running on a networks, and running business software which need backwards compatibility.

the most important thing for music is get the fastest duel-core, quad-core, 64bit, etc, and the most RAM you can afford.

I really dont think anyone is going to notice a differance between pro and ultimate windows 7 and probably wont notice a difference between home other than home can not support as much RAM. My new laptop came with win7 pro and it works very nice, but my music software runs just as well on my girlfriends computer with win7 home.

While the maximum RAM limit for 32-bit Windows 7 editions is 4GB, when it comes to the 64-bit editions, the amount of memory that the OS can address depends on which edition you are running.

Here are the upper RAM limits for the different editions of Windows 7:

• Starter: 8GB
    • Home Basic: 8GB
    • Home Premium: 16GB
    • Professional: 192GB
    • Enterprise: 192GB
    • Ultimate: 192GB

As of yet I have never seen anyone with a home computer that could use more than 16GB of RAM and I have yet to see a home computer with more than 8GB of RAM installed, they do however make it if you have the cash. But in this economy if you have that kinda cash I hope your face melts off in an accident involving acid because your most likely a banker and got all you money by ripping off the american tax payers.

• That was a really detailed and informative reply - thanks

I was intrigued by the professional grades of windows seven up to ultimate

What sort of businesses or application need to run 192GB of RAM - the space shuttle at NASA?

• I've been running Finale 2011 in XP, Vista, and Windows 7. No problems in any of them (if you remember to install as administrator.) I upgraded to Windows 7 professional in case I need to run in XP mode, but so far, I haven't.  I didn't see the need for Ultimate, Home Premium is probably suficient.
This reply was deleted.