Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

A piece in my typical style ;)

Striving to imitate the howling whirlwind.

Here is the musescore link:

https://musescore.com/user/32556702/scores/6083715

Views: 84

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not bad this one, stimulating to listen to. I guess a challenge to play but certainly possible.

Well done.

Kjell

Crikey! .........That's going to take some playing!

Very good, and if I may say so, especially so without the pedal down. It might be interesting with some judicious pedal.

Nice piece and a challenge all right. Reminds me of when I learned a piano version of Flight of the Bumblebee! 

Thank you.

Thank you Kjell! Perhaps sometimein the future somebody might try to perform it ;)

Kjell Prytz said:

Not bad this one, stimulating to listen to. I guess a challenge to play but certainly possible.

Well done.

Kjell

Hello Dane,

yes, pedalling is more or less ad libitum. I didn't care to much about this in the annotations but might do later on.

Thanks for your kind reply.



Dane Aubrun said:

Crikey! .........That's going to take some playing!

Very good, and if I may say so, especially so without the pedal down. It might be interesting with some judicious pedal.

Nice piece and a challenge all right. Reminds me of when I learned a piano version of Flight of the Bumblebee! 

Thank you.

Hi Jan-Frederik,

It's a blitz piece...  1min 17sec duration...

It is a lot of work though...  It would be even more difficult to make

it longer I can imagine.

Your use of the melodic line to point at the tonic of the cadence

reminded me Schenker's melodic leading and use of Spannung.

The constant flow of melody creates a tension, some sort of a spannung.

The middle section has the contrast element clearly but lacks unity.

French harmony exercises use embellishment notes, passing notes etc.

to use the characteristic pitches of the middle section so that hiddenly

the middle material is introduced to the subconscious of the listener.

Of course, the 9tuples kind of help for unity, 'to give you what belongs to you.'

We cannot perceive fast notes consciously and your work uses contrasting

slow notes skillfully.  A nice book about speed in music and related quotation

is attached.

Cheers.

Ali

Attachments:

Hi Ali,

thank you for your very kind reply and the book.

I am still inexperienced and working at getting together longer pieces. Need to get a "longer breath" if you want.

Yes, I wanted to establish an ABA structure but also think, that the middle part could be improved.

Perhaps the piece is too difficult for the average pianist, but a good pianist might do it?

Cheers,

Jan

I thought you would like this: Chopin - Ocean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhLunFajgwg&fbclid=IwAR3tjke5Kv...

It's interesting, but hard to latch onto something when listening to it.  I think you'd benefit greatly from leaving MuseScore behind and using a proper DAW so you have better control over note velocity and tempo changes and a better choice of piano sounds so you can get it sounding closer to a real performance.  MuseScore will always sound robotic.

Yo-Yo Ma was on an episode of the Song Exploder podcast once, talking about how his performance of a specific piece had changed over the years.  How he started trying to play it technically perfectly, and later learnt that this wasn't the best way to perform.  Anyway, you might be interested: http://songexploder.net/yo-yo-ma

Oh, what a phantastic piece! I should have known that before.

My inspiration was rather this one here, one of my all-time favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8eLLBBDHsQ

Thanks again for answering.

J.

Ali Riza SARAL said:

I thought you would like this: Chopin - Ocean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhLunFajgwg&fbclid=IwAR3tjke5Kv...

This piece is a lot of fun...

Hi Disconnectica,

I agree with you, the sound is rather metallic sometimes. Though I must say all these technically generated piece are for me more or less a demo of how the piece might sound like - it is not a "real" performance. But it is probable that I'll make the tool change one day or the other, perhaps this year.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jan

Disconnectica said:

It's interesting, but hard to latch onto something when listening to it.  I think you'd benefit greatly from leaving MuseScore behind and using a proper DAW so you have better control over note velocity and tempo changes and a better choice of piano sounds so you can get it sounding closer to a real performance.  MuseScore will always sound robotic.

Yo-Yo Ma was on an episode of the Song Exploder podcast once, talking about how his performance of a specific piece had changed over the years.  How he started trying to play it technically perfectly, and later learnt that this wasn't the best way to perform.  Anyway, you might be interested: http://songexploder.net/yo-yo-ma

Thank you, Saul!

Saul Gefen said:

This piece is a lot of fun...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sign up info

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service