Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hi colleagues! 

When was the last time you composed music for a client? Which part of that process was the hardest? And which part of the process was the longest?

Views: 90

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Ashley, never had this pleasure! The few times I composed specifically for someone else, it was at my initiative, and they liked what I did well enough not to ask for changes. Are you asking the questions because you have a commission?

Best - 

Gav

Last time? Right now. Hardest? Not getting paid what I truly deserve, the arguments with my wife that I am working and not playing on my computer, and not getting the thanks I deserve. How many times have I gotten, "Ok, thanks." Or even, "Neat," and "I'll let you know how it goes," and you never do. Longest? Editing the scores making them look better than professional.

Hi Rev, 

Thx for your reply. Right, I am commissioned to compose a piece so I was wondering what the process feels like to the other fellows. 

Gav Brown said:

Hi Ashley, never had this pleasure! The few times I composed specifically for someone else, it was at my initiative, and they liked what I did well enough not to ask for changes. Are you asking the questions because you have a commission?

Best - 

Gav

I did a feature film and about 16 trailer cuts recently. The trailers were painful, dont do it unless u get paid for it :).

Overall quite an enjoyable experience once you take money out of the equation. Its not my main source of income so i could afford to do that. The creative satisfaction and experience from working on that was huge. looking fwd to the next one.

longest: applying layers of polish to make it sound professional, tweaking pieces constantly as new edits come by.

hardest: objectively looking at pieces and reworking them based on feedback that is not always very actionable, understanding the differences in monitors and audio equipment - what sounds good in my speakers sounds different in a 5.1 theater vs monitors where other preview music etc. 

Vn

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2018   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service