When Doubt Arises

This is a chamber work for Clarinet, Violin, Cello, and Piano in 2 movements.  There's a description of the inspiration for the piece at the link below.  The music is long enough, so I won't bore you with further details :)

When Doubt Arises by David Carovillano

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• an interesting description of the creative process which often reminds me of myself (though it's easiest with text when the specific emotions are dictated and the music more or less writes itself). And it's shown in the music which is never still and always looking for new inventive paths as well as being quite often touching -- and it manages this without for me any particular melodic individuality (others may disagree) which is far from easy. You don't look for critique but anyway, none is really necessary. There's certainly an individual voice there -- which in itself is far from common -- which gradually grows the more one hears.

• Thank you, David.  I can't speak to others' movtivation for writing, but comments like yours fuel my desire to compose, especially when one begins to realize over time, how limited an audience there is that might find interest in one's work.  Glad to know that there are a few kindred souls out there!

• I'm flattered if I can play any role in encouraging you to continue composing. I know that none of us posting here is likely to attract a mass audience so of course appreciation from those who may have similar tastes or aims is always heartening.

• I remember almost 20 years ago, when my wife and I walked in to a recording studio to make our first album.  The wall was covered with gold records from some Canadian heavy-hitters in pop/rock/country.  I asked the engineer how they keep track of albums sold, and he mentioned the technical details, before saying, "you guys won't need to worry about that." :) Imagine, classical accordion and clarinet not shooting to the top of the charts! lol

• As David Owen says you have your own voice here which is really important and made this enjoyable for me.  The piece opened with an impressionistic flavor but then changed directions just as you said in the description.  With all of the different colors and details here I think a Ravel type orchestration for this might be something to consider.  Good work, thanks for posting!

• Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Ingo.  You know, I think your idea for a Ravel-type orchestration is a distinct possibility in the future.  I've often thought about re-visiting certain pieces to re-imagine them (did this once with my Twilight of Shadows which was originally for accordion and clarinet, and re-done a few years ago with different instrumentation).  The challenge is finding the time when I'm always looking to write the next piece.  I will definitely put this on my to do list  :)

• Just listened to the first movement. I hear it as a conversation or even a debate between the involved instruments, especially the piano and the clarinet in the beginning, before cello and violin commenting them. The 2nd movements, with it's energetic opening, before it shifts nicely to a more calm situation, brings the piece in such a positive gesture for what it tries to convey, if any. I wonder if there will be a 3rd movement in the future. 

• Thank you for taking the time to listen and share your thoughts, Sam.  I very much appreciate it!  There won't be a third movement, as I never like to overstay my welcome and said all I wanted to in this piece.

Cheers!

• Here's a Ravel orchestration style that might work. You've probably heard this piece but this is a spirited rendition in a beautiful setting so I thought I'd throw it in here. Dig out those castanets!

This reply was deleted.