What to do after V-I cadence?

Here's my problem (i hope i can explain this well enough with my lack of knowledge), whenever i end up on cadence mentioned in the title (V-I), for example on the 16th bar i can't figure out what to do next, for me the piece is over and everything i try to write on bar 17 sound unnaturally (whenever if it's something new or it's a theme copied from the beginning of the piece).

I tried to analyse a couple pieces and the only thing that i found is that they (composers) tend to "start" on IV after V-I cadence, which make sense since I is 5th of IV, but again when i try to do this it sound awful. 

I decided to ask you about my problem after i watched this video https://youtu.be/1Pf7Q2Vs07I?t=28s which can serve as example- after first 8 bars when he end up on V-I music starts again on I and it sound naturally, i can't find here anything special rather than short pause at the end of bar 8 (is this it, a simple pause?).

I hope I didn't made too much mistakes and you know what i'm talking about. 

So my question is- do you know any techniques or do you have any tips to help me with this "issue"?

edit:

I forgot to say Hello since this is my first post on this forum ;) Sorry!

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "D major gets you to B minor if you use some sort of a V-VI cadence."

That's interesting.  Before I read this, I had a very similar idea.  But in the light of previous conversations, on another thread, with Socrates A., the following thought also occurred to me.

I wondered what would happen if, when you used "some sort of a V-VI" cadence, the final chord was actually an augmented sixth chord.

On "getting from D major to B minor."

We can also imagine what happens if a section starts out in D flat major, or gradually descends into D flat major,  "rather than remaining in D major,"  (using an automation feature, that drags the tonality down slowly, almost imperceptibly).  One could then move, by fits and starts to B flat major, or something slightly different from that, say, using an Indian mode, like the Bhairav mode, for instance.

See some Indian modes, here:

http://www.chandrakantha.com/articles/indian_music/that.html

Just an idea.

That (thaat) - The Indian Modes
    This page is about the Indian modes called That or Thaat
This reply was deleted.