Replies

• When I said two notation packages, I meant why do you use "Finale" AND "Sibelius". I know the score on Cubase is useless for printing. But it's great for editing and even composition sometimes.

What you said about the standard of the parts is true enough. At university, the BBC Ulster Orchestra librarian was really specific with me about how the parts should be written. I wrote out a flute part and showed it to him and he said it was fine, except that there were to be only 10 staves on the page as opposed to 12 (like the manuscript paper you can buy). So I had to actually design my own manuscript paper on the computer and print it out. Writing out the parts was sheer hell. You had to check every single bar about fifty times. Because it was a workshop, if there had been just ONE mistake on one of the parts, the conductor would have just put your composition away and said "next"! As it happens, the parts were fine and the orchestra played their boots off. Anthony Halstead (the conductor) was brilliant as well. He must have been telepathically linked to my brain, because it sounded just like I wrote it. Amazing experience. I'm so glad I've got Finale now. I look forward to seeing the completed score almost as much as hearing the damn thing. Lot to learn though.

Chris Alpiar said:
    Well the score editor in Cubase (or DP or other DAWs I have worked with) isnt designed for being a good printing tool. Its more of a "something doesnt sound right let me look at it in score view and see what I screwed up". Finale is the granddaddy since the 80s on printing music scores and parts. Keep in mind your live performance when you get it depends TREMENDOUSLY on how your parts look. As a session player for many years I can tell you the performance of your piece goes down dramatically when the parts are confusing or missing nuance of a pro engraver/copyist. The same was true when we used to write parts by hand - sloppy stuff that doesnt look good (rehearsal letters, bar numbering, 4 bars per staff, double bar lines in the right place, etc, etc) just gets treated as junky - especially if you have anything complex to be played. The musicians dont respect it the same way. Its the same kind of thing as section politics where you need to keep each instrumentalist feeling like you respected them enough to write for their instrument correctly and give them something cool to play, not too much rests, etc. How you work with your orchestra on these levels is night and day between what kind of results you will get

Simon Godden said:
    I do exactly the same except, I write with manuscript paper and pen at the same time as using the score editor on my DAW (Cubase), then make a midi-file and then transfer it to Finale 2010 (I haven't used the Garritan facility yet, but I might try it out for curiosity's sake when I've learnt how).

Chris, why use two notation packages? Aren't they both as good as each other?

Chris Alpiar said:
    the music that you hear that sounds 'real' are not done from a notation program, but rather with a DAW and massaged, every scrap of nuance accounted for. Notation program = for making parts, one way to write a score and hear *something* back immediately. DAW (Digital Performer, Logic, Cubase, etc) is for recording midi and audio performances and for fine tuning them. And they are used in conjunction with sample libraries and vst instruments, like Vienna Symphonic Library or EWQLSO. Each library has certain nuance to learn to make it sound more realistic. And understanding the ins and outs of programming with your libraries as well as solid fundamental understanding of orchestration is all part of the modern composer process. Personally I use Finale 2010 and Sibelius 6 for notation, but I only use these programs to make parts for live sessions. I write by hand on paper sketches, then sequence in a DAW, then dump to Finale to create a score and extract parts
    What (if any) Music notation software do you use?
    What music notation software do you use when you write on the computer? I use Finale PrintMusic 2009. After hearing the quality of some of the midi'…
  • i use sibelius but have tried finale.
    i find that sibelius is a bit more easier to use.
  • I use MagicScore Maestro
    I find it great to produce the sheet music and as a notation tool.
  • I never saw this, sorry Simon. I have Finale, Sibelius and Notion now. Notion was a gift from a friend who wanted me to try it. And I keep finale and sibelius because of different clients that work in those programs. I still generally make parts in finale and I generally dont use notation software to sequence or compose in. But I have some clients (most) that use finale, and a couple that use sibelius. Usually these are clients hiring me for arranging or for digital mockups of their scores. So its more for convenience of my clients

Simon Godden said:
    When I said two notation packages, I meant why do you use "Finale" AND "Sibelius". I know the score on Cubase is useless for printing. But it's great for editing and even composition sometimes.

What you said about the standard of the parts is true enough. At university, the BBC Ulster Orchestra librarian was really specific with me about how the parts should be written. I wrote out a flute part and showed it to him and he said it was fine, except that there were to be only 10 staves on the page as opposed to 12 (like the manuscript paper you can buy). So I had to actually design my own manuscript paper on the computer and print it out. Writing out the parts was sheer hell. You had to check every single bar about fifty times. Because it was a workshop, if there had been just ONE mistake on one of the parts, the conductor would have just put your composition away and said "next"! As it happens, the parts were fine and the orchestra played their boots off. Anthony Halstead (the conductor) was brilliant as well. He must have been telepathically linked to my brain, because it sounded just like I wrote it. Amazing experience. I'm so glad I've got Finale now. I look forward to seeing the completed score almost as much as hearing the damn thing. Lot to learn though.

• I actually use MuseScore.It's an amazing freeware enough powerfull to fulfill all my needs.
    A great soft !!!

(see at http://musescore.org)
  • My first two cents. I joined this morning. I had a short break (50 years) in my career. Had to earn a living. Back then it was piano, pen and paper. I started again six years ago opening my old boxes of scores and found out that there is a wonderful set of technologies available. I had to learn from scratch. Now I have a mac and am working hard.
    The first sketches (melody lines etc.) I do in Harmony Assistant. It is very good for first drafts as you can freely insert and delete and change. Good macro language. I have wirten more than ten macros to make the drafting simple. Replace quarter with two eights. Double or half (is that English?) a note and so on. The main point is that if you have 357 notes and want to add two after the fourth note or delete a few notes the rest 353 move around as needed. But when the drafting is ready I move over to Sibelius for the serious work. Harmony Assistant exports XML and Sibelius reads it. I export each instrument from Sibelius separately as audio (sometimes midi) and work with them in a DAW named Reaper in order to improve nuances, velocities and tempos.
    Metaphor: Harmony Assistant is the pencil, Sibelius the oil colors, Reaper the frame on my masterpieces.
    Workflow: 1) piano, pen and paper, 2) Harmony Assistant, 3) Sibelius, 4) Reaper, 5) frustration, 6) Back to 1,....
    But I have understood that the generic workflow is: idea, sketch,notation, DAW. All of them are needed.
    These are,of course, personal opinions and preferences. They will change with time.

Boris
  • Hi Adrian, I'm writing with Notion 3 after having used Finale Printmusic 2009. Notion 3 is really good! The midi problem you mentioned: Notion can export midi, but the output is defective (you can work with, but there are a lot of wrong interpretations). If I need a midi file I export my Notion score to Music-XML and import the XML into Finale Printmusic and from there I export the Midi. It works, but I have to go the whole score through and to correct differences to the original score.

Notion's support promised to correct the midi problem with one of the next updates.

Adrian Allan said:
    Does anybody know any more about Notion ? For a cheap program the built in orchestral samples sound really good - London Symphony recorded at Abbey Road. However I have heard that it can't export midi which seems a major drawback.
    What (if any) Music notation software do you use?
    What music notation software do you use when you write on the computer? I use Finale PrintMusic 2009. After hearing the quality of some of the midi'…
  • I use Sibelius 6 for all my composing and orchestrating work - both classical and pop. I also do Sibelius engraving work for many Hollywood composers and offer tutoring in the software.
  • I agree with this. My feeling is that finale is more used by "engineers" and "sibelius" more by "(intuitive) musicians", what not meens, that "engineers" are not musicians....
  • I use Sibelius 6. The thing is, while the quality of the GPO sounds is good, but because it is sampled, I don't really rate it much higher than the general midi sounds...
This reply was deleted.