Happy New Year guys and gals, so what are y'all's goals for this new year compositionally? My personal goal is to purchase Cubase and learn it so I can start producing my own demos without having to rely on publication or live players who can easily misinterpret my music.

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Rodney,

It appears that you have proven that Bach was a time traveler.  Why else would he write music that can be played forward and backwards?  He apparently knew that negative time signatures would be a necessity in the future.  Only a time traveler would compose music for U tube four hundred years in advance.

• I'm not a bit surprised by this news...

Lawrence Aurich said:

Rodney,

It appears that you have proven that Bach was a time traveler.  Why else would he write music that can be played forward and backwards?  He apparently knew that negative time signatures would be a necessity in the future.  Only a time traveler would compose music for U tube four hundred years in advance.

What are Your Compositional Goals for 2015?
    Happy New Year guys and gals, so what are y'all's goals for this new year compositionally? My personal goal is to purchase Cubase and learn it so I c…
  • Chris, what you said about people's attention span is so true. And by recorded music you mean sampled instruments right? Just so we're on the same page.

I was definitely planning to get more active on social media but what you are saying is that I need to build a real community. Wow. That might be hard where I am.

• What I'm saying is if you are good at something you should get paid for it.
  • Cool :)

Chris Alpiar said:
    I totally agree Rodney!! Unfortunately charging for recorded music doesnt translate into success without some extreme things (like you are Jay Z's little brother or work at Remote Control with Hans maybe. We have to invent a new paradigm from scratch right now, its unfortunately what we are tasked with :-/
  • The idea of when a piece is "done" is an interesting one and one which has come up on this forum before. For me, a piece is done when I initially finish it. I find I cannot go back and change it, even if I feel it is imperfect. Some essential energy/excitement, which I usually feel when composing a piece, dissipates entirely afterwards and I can't find it again if I try to come back to the piece and alter it. I had a piece I wrote several years ago which a composer friend of mine recently suggested could use a more exciting ending. They said this in a way which actually inspired me a bit to try to rewrite, and I tried for several weeks to work on it, coming up with multiple endings and putting a lot of time into it. But in the end I gave it up. I look on each work I do as imperfect, but rather than try to go back and improve it, I try to learn something so that the next piece will be better.

Rodney Carlyle Money said:

Also, if you want a more straight to the chase answer, a piece is finished when you know every note written works and you do not doubt anything written.
    What are Your Compositional Goals for 2015?
    Happy New Year guys and gals, so what are y'all's goals for this new year compositionally? My personal goal is to purchase Cubase and learn it so I c…
  • Compositions "mature" after the composers' death, too. It's a known secret that famous conductors share tips with each others how to make enhancements in orchestrations. Even such great orchestrators as Stravinsky have had their scores edited by conductors.

• Well about editing a composition, listening back to the one I just wrote I can see some improvements, and feel the need to eventually change them. However, I don't think I will majorly revise a piece more than once. I plan to revise each of my pieces that will eventually be in my first album once before release, although I plan to wait to revise/edit them so I have a different perspective. The thought of writing something that I deem as perfect or nearly perfect seems like a pipe dream to me. 

• When's the last time you decided that one of your pieces was done?

michael diemer said:

It's up to the composer to decide when a piece is done. Thus - as in most things - there is no rule.

This reply was deleted.