Happy New Year guys and gals, so what are y'all's goals for this new year compositionally? My personal goal is to purchase Cubase and learn it so I can start producing my own demos without having to rely on publication or live players who can easily misinterpret my music.

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sounds like great goals, Michael. I wish you all the blessings on your endeavors this new year. I would love a new midi keyboard also. I feel like that I have went as far in Finale as I can push it so it's time to move on. I think I need more memory also, in my computer and my head. What new sound libraries are you looking for?

michael diemer said:

I plan to continue to work with the tools I have until I am satisfied that I have gotten as much as I can out of them. And then decide if it is enough to warrant continuing to rework all my pieces, or if I need at that point to expand. Expansion would be mostly new sound libraries, possibly also more memory. Maybe a new midi keyboard. I'm hoping to reach a point where I can leave what I have done and start some new pieces, or finish some previously started ones.

What are Your Compositional Goals for 2015?
    Happy New Year guys and gals, so what are y'all's goals for this new year compositionally? My personal goal is to purchase Cubase and learn it so I c…
  • Bring on the pain, my friend.

Kristofer Emerig said:

Within the first month, I intend to present a musical composition unlike any heard before, designed for the singular and unique purpose of torture, on this very forum.

Wait a minute - this has already been done by Ferneyhough, you say? Not really. His was not intended as torture (I think).

Happy New Year guys and gals, so what are y'all's goals for this new year compositionally? My personal goal is to purchase Cubase and learn it so I c…
  • This year is about buffing up my resume before I start the job hunt. 

Im going to enter as many competitions as possibles and work on getting either published (paper or music) or a residency somewhere. I would also like to start writing my book on composers and how the career of composing evolved. 

I am also going to enter a few festivals and workshops to really start learning from the best and get the best performances possible. 

So 2015 has a lot on my plate. 

• I've already made sure to clear this with The Wife, so... new sound libraries for me, also. In this way, I hope to be able to render some ideas I've had that my current ones just won't do very well at all (particularly the brass), branch out in other ways, and in general just become less tentative and apprehensive about taking all kinds of chances, so long as I feel the libraries will enable a good enough final result.   

• Getting my first public performance of an orchestral piece in August (sigh...the wait).
    Have so many sketches, bits and 80-90% finished stuff that I want to finish, sort, discard.
    Want to understand the French horn better and write better parts for it.
    Be more disciplined and less haphazard.

Not much then.
  • In December my wife and I published 25 new Christmas carols, all in Finnish:

https://www.facebook.com/joululaulukalenteri

Some of them were very small sketches. My intention is to turn them into complete songs and write some more of them to fill a concert program. The problem is that they are of very varying styles.

And one special goal is to write English lyrics to #24.

Joululaulukalenteri
    Joululaulukalenteri. 494 likes. Täällä voit kuunnella joululaulujamme. Laulut ovat Anja ja Johan Halménin tekemiä. Joulun odotusta!
  • Tell us more about how you got an orchestra to perform one of your works. What is it that you don't understand about the horn?

Michael Lofting said:
    Getting my first public performance of an orchestral piece in August (sigh...the wait).
    Have so many sketches, bits and 80-90% finished stuff that I want to finish, sort, discard.
    Want to understand the French horn better and write better parts for it.
    Be more disciplined and less haphazard.

Not much then.
  • My goals for self development are;

1) Work on further developing my orchestration abilities, primarily string writing and usage.

2) Expand my harmonic vocabulary.

3) Write for more varied, atypical ensemble types.

Along with these, I have a number of projects I've been working on that I plan to bring to completion this year.

I'm working on a series of chamber pieces for young players, focused on the abilities of 2nd-3rd year students.  ( I've long believed this is a great way to develop the "exceptional" players beyond what can be done in a 1 hour band class.)

I'm working with a local choreographer to develop a 7-10 minute dance work.  It will be a "contemporary/lyrical ballet" work using student dancers from their elite company.  The work will use an ensemble of about 12-15 players.  (She likes ten, I want 20.  We'll find a middle!!)  We're shooting for a premier to coincide with the studio's recital in the spring of 2016. 

• If you are a professional composer or have the right connections must make it easier to get pieces played. I must confess to being envious.

I play viola with the Unley Symphony Orchestra, not professional but we are seventy strong and have a great conductor (Peter Webb).
    Peter will often let local composers get a run through at a rehearsal if we're not too busy. For many this is as close as they will ever get to a real performance.
    I got three.
    At the end of the last run through apparently I had a lobby group working on my behalf to get an actual performance.

Big challenge after that is to get other pieces performed.

I believe that Sibelius, Finale and probably most others give a false impression of how horns sound in real life.
    During the run through I had a talk with the players because I wasn't getting the sound I was after so I learnt about mutes, stopped and half stopped notes from them.
    There are some good videos around by players demonstrating techniques and talking about limitations.
    Other instruments it's more about matching the character with the part I think.
  • Oh and my other goal for the year is to get my winter competition piece finished.

Not easy when it was 44C yesterday.
This reply was deleted.