Happy New Year guys and gals, so what are y'all's goals for this new year compositionally? My personal goal is to purchase Cubase and learn it so I can start producing my own demos without having to rely on publication or live players who can easily misinterpret my music.

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I plan to continue to work with the tools I have until I am satisfied that I have gotten as much as I can out of them. And then decide if it is enough to warrant continuing to rework all my pieces, or if I need at that point to expand. Expansion would be mostly new sound libraries, possibly also more memory. Maybe a new midi keyboard. I'm hoping to reach a point where I can leave what I have done and start some new pieces, or finish some previously started ones.

• Sounds like great goals, Michael. I wish you all the blessings on your endeavors this new year. I would love a new midi keyboard also. I feel like that I have went as far in Finale as I can push it so it's time to move on. I think I need more memory also, in my computer and my head. What new sound libraries are you looking for?

michael diemer said:

I plan to continue to work with the tools I have until I am satisfied that I have gotten as much as I can out of them. And then decide if it is enough to warrant continuing to rework all my pieces, or if I need at that point to expand. Expansion would be mostly new sound libraries, possibly also more memory. Maybe a new midi keyboard. I'm hoping to reach a point where I can leave what I have done and start some new pieces, or finish some previously started ones.

What are Your Compositional Goals for 2015?
    Happy New Year guys and gals, so what are y'all's goals for this new year compositionally? My personal goal is to purchase Cubase and learn it so I c…
  • Bring on the pain, my friend.

Kristofer Emerig said:

Within the first month, I intend to present a musical composition unlike any heard before, designed for the singular and unique purpose of torture, on this very forum.

Wait a minute - this has already been done by Ferneyhough, you say? Not really. His was not intended as torture (I think).

Happy New Year guys and gals, so what are y'all's goals for this new year compositionally? My personal goal is to purchase Cubase and learn it so I c…
  • Well, everything of course. But primarily better brass and woods. And strings. And...well, you can see how this is going.

Rodney Carlyle Money said:

Sounds like great goals, Michael. I wish you all the blessings on your endeavors this new year. I would love a new midi keyboard also. I feel like that I have went as far in Finale as I can push it so it's time to move on. I think I need more memory also, in my computer and my head. What new sound libraries are you looking for?

michael diemer said:

I plan to continue to work with the tools I have until I am satisfied that I have gotten as much as I can out of them. And then decide if it is enough to warrant continuing to rework all my pieces, or if I need at that point to expand. Expansion would be mostly new sound libraries, possibly also more memory. Maybe a new midi keyboard. I'm hoping to reach a point where I can leave what I have done and start some new pieces, or finish some previously started ones.

• Please, this forum is tortured enough already by the one with the unpronounceable name.

Kristofer Emerig said:

Within the first month, I intend to present a musical composition unlike any heard before, designed for the singular and unique purpose of torture, on this very forum.

Wait a minute - this has already been done by Ferneyhough, you say? Not really. His was not intended as torture (I think).

• This year is about buffing up my resume before I start the job hunt. 

Im going to enter as many competitions as possibles and work on getting either published (paper or music) or a residency somewhere. I would also like to start writing my book on composers and how the career of composing evolved. 

I am also going to enter a few festivals and workshops to really start learning from the best and get the best performances possible. 

So 2015 has a lot on my plate. 

• I've already made sure to clear this with The Wife, so... new sound libraries for me, also. In this way, I hope to be able to render some ideas I've had that my current ones just won't do very well at all (particularly the brass), branch out in other ways, and in general just become less tentative and apprehensive about taking all kinds of chances, so long as I feel the libraries will enable a good enough final result.   

• Getting my first public performance of an orchestral piece in August (sigh...the wait).
    Have so many sketches, bits and 80-90% finished stuff that I want to finish, sort, discard.
    Want to understand the French horn better and write better parts for it.
    Be more disciplined and less haphazard.

Not much then.
  • In December my wife and I published 25 new Christmas carols, all in Finnish:

https://www.facebook.com/joululaulukalenteri

Some of them were very small sketches. My intention is to turn them into complete songs and write some more of them to fill a concert program. The problem is that they are of very varying styles.

And one special goal is to write English lyrics to #24.

Joululaulukalenteri
    Joululaulukalenteri. 494 likes. Täällä voit kuunnella joululaulujamme. Laulut ovat Anja ja Johan Halménin tekemiä. Joulun odotusta!
  • Tell us more about how you got an orchestra to perform one of your works. What is it that you don't understand about the horn?

Michael Lofting said:
    Getting my first public performance of an orchestral piece in August (sigh...the wait).
    Have so many sketches, bits and 80-90% finished stuff that I want to finish, sort, discard.
    Want to understand the French horn better and write better parts for it.
    Be more disciplined and less haphazard.

Not much then.
This reply was deleted.