Here's my new piano trio. In a tonal setting, post classical romantic style.

I used a regular sonata form with two themes, development section, recapitulation and coda.

(I decided not to include the repeat to the beginning in the recording due to length)

As always, thanks for listening and comments/advice are welcome.

triojuly.mp3

july2010trio.pdf

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Very clever, well written and enjoyable. Great sense of tension and development.

I'd like to take another listen with a view to its sonata form. To my ears the music still seemed to be in quite a restless developmental phase just before it ended, so I must be following it wrong.

When does the theme return the same as it is in the exposition? And can you tell me where the two themes start and end in the exposition so I can listen again with a more informed ear.

• Hi Adrian,

thanks for listening

Regarding your question, here is a layout of the form:

First theme starts in rehearsal A (which is D major although the form is mostly in D minor). In rehearsal C is a transition to the 2nd theme.

At the meno mosso (m 103) is the second theme in F major.

Rehearsal E starts the development section.

At N starts the recap, but I sneaked it in with an extended beginning with the almost chromatic line in the piano so it is not as obvious until m 276 where it is again exactly as the exposition.

At Q is the same transition as in C but now going to another key for the second theme at R, which is now in a minor key and shortened going straight into the coda.

I hope the explanation is clear.

Thanks again

• A very nicely balanced and well-written composition!  I liked your key changes, and appreciate anew the unifying qualities of sonata form.  Very inspiring!  

• Beautifully written piece. The more I listen to it, the more I hear and enjoy. Nice writing!

• Thanks Robert.

Robert Hunter said:

Beautifully written piece. The more I listen to it, the more I hear and enjoy. Nice writing!

Violin, Cello and Piano trio. Thanks for listening.
    Here's my new piano trio. In a tonal setting, post classical romantic style. I used a regular sonata form with two themes, development section, recap…
  • Thanks.

Emily Miller Bond said:

A very nicely balanced and well-written composition!  I liked your key changes, and appreciate anew the unifying qualities of sonata form.  Very inspiring!  

Violin, Cello and Piano trio. Thanks for listening.
    Here's my new piano trio. In a tonal setting, post classical romantic style. I used a regular sonata form with two themes, development section, recap…
  • quite nice sir!

• Hi Jon,

Thanks for your comments and the old fashion style is what my main goal was, so I'm happy you liked that and yes, I'm writing a full standard piano trio in four movements (hopefully)

This reply was deleted.