Replies

• Charley,

Your little piece has generated a bit of attention.

Just for the fun of it, and for my own edification, I fixed a few things that seemed out of place, considering how you set things up. I changed a few notes in the cello part to move more consistently. Also the 4/4 just seemed awkward to me.

I offer this to you not because I think my version is better, but because for the most part, your piece is really quite charming.

Feel free to totally disregard this and slap me. If anything, I learned a lot.

TenderToesScore - Full Score.pdf

TenderToesScore.mp3

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/8608538100?profile=original
  • I just did a "quick and dirty" and recreated what Charley had in his score.  I merely wanted him to see what John had offered regarding the clef changes.

• Alrighty.  Please have a look at this one.

Tender%20Toes%20Viola-Cello.pdf

• I hope that score works for you.  Thanks again for offering to record that for me.  That is terribly sweet of you. 

The title "Tender Toes" comes from the title of a variation on that same piece which I wrote first, and is much more lively and upbeat.  I called it "Happy Shoes".  It is for a string quintet.

So, I wanted to give the slower, more emotional one a similar title.  Probably not a great title, and I am certainly open to suggestions ~ ha!  :D

Thanks,

Charley

Emily F. Singleton said:

Well, we have an orchestra concert tomorrow, so if there is a final draft ready by tomorrow morning, I can print it to take a part to him and we can take a few minutes to look over it, and try to record it on the 24th. We will just have a cellphone to record with, though it does a decent job. That is what was used in the sample I provided.
  • I really want to thank everyone who took the time to reply and offer different arrangements and advice.  

This has been an educational experience for me, and I appreciate everyone's kindness, honesty, and help.

Peace and Love,

Charley 

• If I understand you correctly, the cello eighth notes (three-and) in measures 3,6, and 7 should be light.

(I would kind of like the G dotted half note in measure 4 to be tenuto with expression (am I saying that correctly?))

The quarter notes on the third beat in measures 11, 12, and 13 should be sustained. 

The quarter note on the third beat in measure 14 should be light.

In the 4/4 section, the quarter notes on the third beat in measures 15 and 16 should be light.

I hope that makes sense.  

But, by all means, interpret it how you like.  I look forward to it very much.

Thanks,

Charley  

• That last double stop for cello is still as impossible as it was in the first iteration of the score. You could leave the cello on the low E, and give the G# to the viola instead (get rid of the B and keep it a double stop; the sound will still be quite rich, don't worry about that).

• Oh yeah!  sorry about that.  I'll make that change.  Thanks!

Greg Brus said:

That last double stop for cello is still as impossible as it was in the first iteration of the score. You could leave the cello on the low E, and give the G# to the viola instead (get rid of the B and keep it a double stop; the sound will still be quite rich, don't worry about that).

• Tender%20Toes%2C%20Viola%20and%20Cello.pdf 

Omitted the G# in the cello, and added Emily's changes.

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/8608532698?profile=original
This reply was deleted.