Added new score and recording. let me know how this works.

My normal way of composing is using my guitar. I hear the finished song in my head and try to transcribe what is playing in their.

This song from start to finish was completely me exploring a keyboard for the past few months. I just got it and it is my first keyboard ever, the only exposure I have to piano playing is when I was in school 16 years ago and the completely out of tune and broken upright in my band mates studio.

The subject of the song is one of my favorite swimming holes here in the Black Hills. Just south of the town Hot Springs is Cascade Falls, it cascades gently over 20 feet where you can sit and slide down the rocks while the water pushes you. Then there is one spot where you can jump in off a small cliff. The best part is it is always around 68 to 70 degrees F even in the dead of winter due to all the hot springs that feed into the falls. One of which comes out of the ground at around 94 degrees F. There is one spring in Hot Springs itself that flows at 104 Degrees F.

Cascade Falls.pdf

Casscade Falls.mp3

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Nice piece. I thought that in particular the cross-rhythms created an interesting effect on page 2.

A few phrase marks on the piano score could help in the interpretaton as I can imagine this being played too mechanically. Accent marks on those repetitive parts could help too, to break the bars into distinct musical patterns.

Although it's a matter for personal preference I would have liked some break from the altered C major tonality as my ear tired of it a little by the end. But maybe this would be your second movement.

Also try to put on some score marking that refer to the mood conveyed, not just the bare tempo. eg. furioso - furiously; grazioso - gracefully; misterioso - mysteriously. These will give the piece more of a definite character and define the mood of the music as it progresses.
  • Thank you for the remarks.. I see what you mean.. that would make the score much more readable.

Adrian Allan said:
    Nice piece. I thought that in particular the cross-rhythms created an interesting effect on page 2.

A few phrase marks on the piano score could help in the interpretaton as I can imagine this being played too mechanically. Accent marks on those repetitive parts could help too, to break the bars into distinct musical patterns.

Although it's a matter for personal preference I would have liked some break from the altered C major tonality as my ear tired of it a little by the end. But maybe this would be your second movement.

Also try to put on some score marking that refer to the mood conveyed, not just the bare tempo. eg. furioso - furiously; grazioso - gracefully; misterioso - mysteriously. These will give the piece more of a definite character and define the mood of the music as it progresses.
  • how does the updated score work? I took into account some of the suggestions and hope it reads better.
  • Looking a lot better

I think you missed a tempo mark for dolce.

Also, these changes of tempo need a double bar line

Keep up the good work

• Adrian Allan said:
    Looking a lot better

I think you missed a tempo mark for dolce.

Also, these changes of tempo need a double bar line

Keep up the good work

ahh yes.. I forgot I was gonna ask about that..
    what is the term I would use for the tempo mark for dolce to indicate "at the performers discretion"?
    updated - Cascade Falls - My first song written entirely on piano
    Added new score and recording. let me know how this works. My normal way of composing is using my guitar. I hear the finished song in my head and t…
  • "c.80" for example means circa 80 and is used to indicate flexibility from the player's viewpoint.

You can't put in "ad lib" or "ad libitum" as this normally means that the sense of pulse of abandoned altogether.
  • NNice one, Mike. I like how the theme starts mid-measure
  • Really enjoyed this, Mike! What I find remarkable is the ability to sustain interest using just the white keys throughout the piece, very well done!
    thanks for posting

Roberto
This reply was deleted.