Hello everybody,

Been back from being away for a while...

Here is my flute-flute-violin trio. I can be very short about this. I got the inspiration while listening to the titlesong of Titanic (My heart will go on). Don't ask for the connection between the two...

Here it is.

002 - Trio 2 flutes 1 violin.mp3

002 - Trio 2 flutes 1 violin.pdf

002- Trio 2 flutes 1 violin.xml

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

  • Erwin. This is really lovely, very enjoyable.

    My ear was asking for a harp to be added - what do you think? Maybe the perfect four voices for what you have here?

  • Hi Joseph,

    Thank you for the compliment. I am still learning how to write for a harp, so I am working on that instrument right now.

    May be in a later stadium! :)

  • Very nice piece, quite charming, I enjoyed it.  The choice of instruments is interesting and as Joseph mentioned it's tempting to suggest additional instruments but then your lite and fluffy texture might not be the same.  The sound is good, I personally am hearing more echo than I tend to prefer, but that's my opinion only.  You might consider using the 8va trick to avoid all those ledger lines for the high notes. Good job!

  • No, we don't use 8va for flutes or violins.

    Ingo Lee said:

    Very nice piece, quite charming, I enjoyed it.  The choice of instruments is interesting and as Joseph mentioned it's tempting to suggest additional instruments but then your lite and fluffy texture might not be the same.  The sound is good, I personally am hearing more echo than I tend to prefer, but that's my opinion only.  You might consider using the 8va trick to avoid all those ledger lines for the high notes. Good job!

    Trio for 2 flutes and a violin
    Hello everybody, Been back from being away for a while... Here is my flute-flute-violin trio. I can be very short about this. I got the inspiration w…
  • I understand violins and flutes prefer ledger lines in their parts, but wouldn't 8va be acceptable in a score where space may be at a premium? In a score of this size of course it wouldn't matter.

    Rodney Carlyle Money said:

    No, we don't use 8va for flutes or violins.

    Ingo Lee said:

    Very nice piece, quite charming, I enjoyed it.  The choice of instruments is interesting and as Joseph mentioned it's tempting to suggest additional instruments but then your lite and fluffy texture might not be the same.  The sound is good, I personally am hearing more echo than I tend to prefer, but that's my opinion only.  You might consider using the 8va trick to avoid all those ledger lines for the high notes. Good job!

    Trio for 2 flutes and a violin
    Hello everybody, Been back from being away for a while... Here is my flute-flute-violin trio. I can be very short about this. I got the inspiration w…
  • No, you can just adjust the spacing of the staff systems.
  • No you want the music to reflect what the parts are. Fine makes like 8va can be hard to read from the conductor point of view. Additionally, in a chamber piece like this you have plenty of room to space out the staves to prevent clashing. Making it fit is up to you as the composer. Like Project Runway's Tim Gun always say, "make it work."

    btw Ill take a listen to this soon. 

    Ingo Lee said:

    I understand violins and flutes prefer ledger lines in their parts, but wouldn't 8va be acceptable in a score where space may be at a premium? In a score of this size of course it wouldn't matter.

    Rodney Carlyle Money said:

    No, we don't use 8va for flutes or violins.

    Ingo Lee said:

    Very nice piece, quite charming, I enjoyed it.  The choice of instruments is interesting and as Joseph mentioned it's tempting to suggest additional instruments but then your lite and fluffy texture might not be the same.  The sound is good, I personally am hearing more echo than I tend to prefer, but that's my opinion only.  You might consider using the 8va trick to avoid all those ledger lines for the high notes. Good job!

    Trio for 2 flutes and a violin
    Hello everybody, Been back from being away for a while... Here is my flute-flute-violin trio. I can be very short about this. I got the inspiration w…
  • It is very nice to see how you have grown as a composer. I hear a conversation between the instruments, I hear a clear form. The piece even has direction which is very nice. The themes are well developed. Where I find fault the most however is the harmonic language. It seems to want to straddle the line between Locrian mode and C major. You create these very strong endings on B a lot and I crave for a chord or at least a G around it to make it the half cadence I think you want. You have movements where the line is harmonized but those are far and few between. Another thing I would look at are the extreme range contrast you have. Its nice but a little over used and I dont hear the goal they are trying to achieve. Notationally, you should have put slurs on some of those fast passages as they will not sound as clean in real life as they do now. 

    Other than that, it is pretty good. 

  • Hi Tyler.

    Thanks for the advice, I will take a look at it again. And thanks for the compliment.

    It is possible in my enthousiasm I forgot to slur... I will take a look at that, too.

  • Greetings Erwin,

    This piece is nice and airy with good melodic content. Thanks for sharing.

    Very best,

    Larry Elliott

This reply was deleted.