Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hi all,

I used to go to university for food science but had to stop going because. I was an out of state student and owed the university money. Currently, I owe the college $4000 to get back in and I've spent $36,000 on this degree so far. I am not passionate about food science (prior to entering I told myself I would only attend college if it was for math or science. I fell in love with the craft beer movement so I chose science). There are times when I feel excited about the beer industry and the fermentation side of things, but these days I am not sure. I am 33 years old and I have about 2 and a half years left to graduate with a food science bachelors degree. The interesting thing is that It will probably take me the same amount of time to graduate if I choose to switch my major to music.

I've been debating this over and over. The responsible route seems to finish my food sceince degree and get a job that pays $36,000, pay off my debts, and just make music on the side. There's another side of me that wants to go full force, change my major, and dive into the world of a music degree. I fear that when I graduate there will not be any jobs and I'll have to continue working retail as I am currently doing at 33 years of age. I remind myself that I am the master of my fate and this helps a little but ultimately, this decision is scary as hell. Do I really need a degree in music? After all, Philip Glasss was a plumber and a taxi driver while making music and didn't really start making money until he was 40 years old. Then again, Philip Glass went to Julliard - I did not.

I could ramble on about this, but I think you all get the point. Is it worth it? Should I switch my major? or should I continue with this degree and make music on the side when I have time? I would love to hear all points of view from those in the industry and those that are not. Thank you for taking the time to read my my post!

Views: 266

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What you wrote is true, of course.
Mariza

Mariza Costa-Cabral said:

Fredrick,

Can you sing that in rhyme and upload the .mp3 ?

Mariza

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service