Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hi,

This is my latest work. Sort of experimenting with new ideas, sounds and methods/ styles etc... 

The Voyage

Views: 119

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Saul,

Though I listen to much of your work I rarely comment now because I'd be repeating what I've previously said. I enjoy most of it. This piece is no exception and highlights you as a musician and creative composer rather than a dabbler playing around with pre-orchestrated chunks.

Cheers,

Dane

Hi,

thank you. I am not really sure about this. Certainly okay as some kind of background music, but not particularly captivating, as it appears quite repetitive, without any development as such. But, perhaps, that was not the intention and purpose of it.

However, it is cool how you produced it in terms of the sound overall.

Thank you Dane, Please see my response to Tillerich's comments...

Dane Aubrun said:

Hello Saul,

Though I listen to much of your work I rarely comment now because I'd be repeating what I've previously said. I enjoy most of it. This piece is no exception and highlights you as a musician and creative composer rather than a dabbler playing around with pre-orchestrated chunks.

Cheers,

Dane

Well, I do agree with some of what you said as it is the same criticism that I have for my own work.

Some background: as a composer I began with classical music, no DAW, midi, surface control or any of these devices.

For some time now, there is a transition from all of that towards DAW and electronic music. So there is still many things I don't know, and need to study when it comes to writing in this style, especially soundtracks.

This particular work the main issue that I have with it is layering which means how to achieve the desired epic sound especially in the climaxes without all the voices drowning each other. In 3:10 where the main theme appears I want it to sound grand and epic but what I get is a drowned sound, very different from what I intend, I simply do not know what I'm doing wrong and how to do it better. If anyone knows and can give me a few pointers that would be wonderful.

So this is still a learning process for me, hopefully I would one day reach a level where this soundtrack style of composition will match my expectations of how I want the music to sound.

Thanks for your comments,

Regards

Tillerich said:

Hi,

thank you. I am not really sure about this. Certainly okay as some kind of background music, but not particularly captivating, as it appears quite repetitive, without any development as such. But, perhaps, that was not the intention and purpose of it.

However, it is cool how you produced it in terms of the sound overall.

I'm not sure it affects the composing itself and in fact I wasn't expecting it to involve a climax and seemed nearer to a Indie-styled...not sure if the word "popular" is right as it was of minority interest.

About your penultimate paragraph, I had a situation that may be similar, maybe not. The brass tutti was full and loud enough but seemed pushed back in the mix, distant, as if behind a thick curtain (almost as if it had been subject to compression which it wasn't). The instruments were close to the red line and occasionally pushed the master volume into the red. Sliding the master volume down simply kept the same proportions. I sorted it by pulling all track faders down except the brass about 6dB and upping the master volume a touch.

It has helped. But I'm no sound engineer. It could be a way of giving your important voices/entries enough headroom to turn them up a bit...if you feel this is what you want.

Thanks Dane,

Well the problem that I find with composing in DAW and with computers in general is that when the music is performed with authentic instruments with real musicians in an orchestra each instrument has its own space and tube to burst out the music. With DAW you have one or two tubes (panning) bursting out many instruments and that creates tension and stress on the sound because its like 10 people trying to squeeze into one door at the same time, while in a real orchestra each instrument has its own door. 

Anyways, I have figured out a few things with this new score, I'm currently working on the piece to make it sound more like I wanted it to sound. I also think that I'm limited in terms of what I can do with the different sounds because I have only one library Albion one and the default Logic Pro X sounds that come with the software. I still need to get the full version of Kontakt and some other gear.

Will post the edited version when I'm done with it.

Best,

Saul

P.S Yes I know of that remedy lowing the volume but I think that in a real orchestra all the instruments play loud in the crescendo or the climax and non are swallowed up by the other for the reasons I explained above. So I want it to sound as real as possible, as authentic as I can.

Dane Aubrun said:

I'm not sure it affects the composing itself and in fact I wasn't expecting it to involve a climax and seemed nearer to a Indie-styled...not sure if the word "popular" is right as it was of minority interest.

About your penultimate paragraph, I had a situation that may be similar, maybe not. The brass tutti was full and loud enough but seemed pushed back in the mix, distant, as if behind a thick curtain (almost as if it had been subject to compression which it wasn't). The instruments were close to the red line and occasionally pushed the master volume into the red. Sliding the master volume down simply kept the same proportions. I sorted it by pulling all track faders down except the brass about 6dB and upping the master volume a touch.

It has helped. But I'm no sound engineer. It could be a way of giving your important voices/entries enough headroom to turn them up a bit...if you feel this is what you want.

Ok this is the revised version, newly mastered and edited, added some new things as well...

Please let me know what you think,

Regards,

Saul

The Voyage

Aaaah, cool, now it is coming to life to my ears - I could really not hear the changing melodic lines before.

It has become rather atmospheric and quite gripping. A real transformation!

Thanks.

Tillerich said:

Aaaah, cool, now it is coming to life to my ears - I could really not hear the changing melodic lines before.

It has become rather atmospheric and quite gripping. A real transformation!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service