Classical music is dying.The fundamental problem is a lack of contemporary emotionally compelling compositions,because listeners get no emotional reward from most contemporary classical music ,orchestras are forced to repeat a small number of compositions from the distant past,and as each year passes the standard repertoire becomes less and less relevant to a contemporary listener.so the audience for classical music continues to shrink. traditional music education for composers is part of the problem engendering, snobbery ,elitism and a cold unemotional approach to music composition.l believe that the situation is so bad that only a movement from outside the traditional music institutions (l call this the deinstitutionalization of classical music)can save classical music from oblivion. ps .for more information on this topic go to my website http://www.onedarylsprakecomposer.com

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• And at 17:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAxGbZgzuAU

- YouTube
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
  • I would just say that attention spans are a lot less (for the most part) than they used to be.

It has certainly changed, and there's an evident ebb in aesthetic quality from what it once was, but surely change is the only constant; and thusly; the connoisseurs of premium work suffer as a result.

oh god, the necro is real. sorry :[

I didn't know where to post for my first post, for my composition sucks; so I stated something seemingly obvious in the only topic I could viably find.

I think dying it is not, but demand has dulled enough; insofar as to make one feel that it is dead or dying.

Will classics of classical die?

Unlikely.

Will forgettable pieces of the times die?

Probably.

If people get it wrong, history will write them out as it has always done.

• :D this thread again

• In general, I agree that the original poster has a point. But there are lots of factors. The competition for scarce leisure time is a big factor. Computer games, the internet, 1000's of TV channels, movies on demand from Netflix and Amazon, all kinds of sports, reading, working out, and countless other activities and interests are in direct competition for the few hours of free time each individual has available to them. The number of choices of how to spend ones scarce free time has never been so large.

Then there is the lack of music making in the home. In the 18th and 19th centuries there was a growing middle class that actively participated in making music in the home. Large families would get out instruments and make music together. This "hands on" involvement in music was a big factor in growing and sustaining an audience for classical music. Do any families do this sort of thing any more? Families are smaller, and are often broken.

Then we have the general trend of people having shorter attention spans, which is fueled by movies and TV. Classical music by its nature requires intellectual engagement.

In the face of all of the challenges faced by the classical music community, a united approach to retaining and building audience is needed, but instead the community is fractured. The rift starting in the early 20th century between the general audience for classical music and the academics has created a lot of hostility in both camps. Those who find atonal and avant-guard music worthwhile can't seem to comprehend why the general audience is often not just disinterested in the music they like, but disgusted by it. And the general audience has become very reluctant to even try any new music in expectation of becoming victims of another piece of atonal music.

In the climate of hostility between factions, the community is not going to come together to celebrate and promote exciting and appealing audience friendly new music. And that would be the only way to truly reinvigorate the art form. I fear it may already be too late, but I am 63, so who knows.

• Well said.

Yes, I would agree, this is a very large part of the problem.

Fredrick zinos said:

The "problem" with classical music was perhaps best expressed on an episode of Columbo, a detective series on American TV in the 1980's or 90's. In this particular episode Detective Columbo was questing a suspect who happened to be an orchestra conductor. During the questioning, Columbo volunteered "Me and the wife like classical music. We listen to My Fair Lady every now and then,"

• 8608421457?profile=original8608359485?profile=original

• "Those who find atonal and avant-guard music worthwhile can't seem to comprehend why the general audience is often not just disinterested in the music they like, but disgusted by it."

Okay.  I give up.  Why are "they" disgusted by "it?"

As far as "unity" goes, in principle, I'm all for a concert which features excerpts from the musical "My Fair Lady,"  John Cage's "Let's Drop a Piano from Twelve Stories onto the Pavement using a Helicopter," (he did actually do that), and in addition to those classics, something a bit avant-garde.

[Apparently, the Cage Piece, dropping a Piano from a great height, is performed regularly.   Heres a visual recorded performance, though the authors of this don't seem to know that John Cage was the original author, decades ago.  They  don't give him credit for the idea, in any case.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Np7zdPvISU

Maybe it all goes back further, to Laurel and Hardy's Award winning short film, "the Music Box," which has them carting a piano up a long series of steps, only to have it slide back down to the bottom several times, with quite a tuneful set of sounds.

This film won the very first Academy Award for Live Action Short Film (Comedy) in 1932.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s4nVg_W_6Y

It's actually a "talkie," a motion picture which has moving images and audible dialogue.   

This reply was deleted.