Hey guys ! 

I would like to discuss with you about some of your approaches of composing on a specific angle, which i don't think has been discussed on this forum before. Please, correct me if i'm wrong, and forgive my spelling mistakes. As a french guy, i consider discussing with you a great way to improve my english and musical skills haha

As most of you are composers, amateurs and professionals, I'm trying to gather your philosophies of composing. A first step would be to know how you consider inspiration. I started writing (amateur) music only when inspiration would come, and I could stay several months without writing anything. Obviously it did not lead me to create a lot of songs. As a consequence i decided to take another approach : i would sit down with a guitar and my software and try new ideas for the next two hours. Something would come out of the session. It did work pretty well for me.

How do you consider these approaches ? Does "forcing" yourself or setting up a discipline such as allocating x hours a day only for composing, seem to be a positive and efficient approach for composing or would you say forcing yourself is killing the inner desire / passion and cannot lead to a great composition ? Would it lead to artificiality ?

Again, my question is more philosophy driven than just to get some tips because i do think this method works to write music and improve on this. But does art need to come out of you on its own or is it acceptable theoretically to "extract it from you" ? 

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• That kind of "social experience" is way to negative and cannot be considered as representative of human kind. Not saying its better everywhere else but c'mon, I'm used to discuss things with people having a completely different point of view without the debate turning to some kind of ironical/cynical game, You know what i mean right ;-)

The whole point of that kind of debate is to listen to people thinking differently because they might have something interesting to say that can change the way you see things. Pretending being right and hence declaring everyone else is wrong is childish really. Even though ego problems are a common thing among "artists", its not legit. 

• Hey Bob, I can relate to a lot of what you are expressing. For me too, every note has a

value and a purpose. I write what I like to hear, tho' I so far have always used 'accepted'

forms. For me it's as simple as the joy of being creative. The feedback/playback is reward enough,

no more complicated than that. I have no visions of grandeur. I know when it's junk and

either toss it or file it for future redo-ing.

I know what you mean (I think) about getting into a 'creative flow zone' where the music

seems to want to write itself, if you will let it. I don't think that that is necessarily the same

thing as 'inspiration' tho.  

The term 'creative genius' I think is a bit of a misnomer. It is not a question of intellect,

education, or even skill. Tho' with that said, it is a combination of all three plus an open

minded attitude toward inventive expression that is greater than that combination.

So, to stay on topic, that is my philosophy regarding composing.       RS

ps-what happened to the variations project?

• If one was 'inspired' and it led to one composing something that raced around the world and became the centre of the musical universe would one have succeeded in writing a 'masterpiece'........or simply something 'populist'?
  • I can't find the music you are referring to here.  Neither can I find Peter Brown's profile so presumably he's left.  I can't find any of your music either so your superior tone is not excusable.  It can never of course be justified.

Now put up or shut up.  Post some of your music.

Fredrick zinos said:

Well, how very generous of you peter. I've listened to a few of your tacks, referenced above. May I ask, have you ever written anything original? Or is all of your compositional work-product the same kitchy mix of tired formulas and wheezing 19th century harmonies notable only for there predictability?

The philosophy of composing
    Hey guys !  I would like to discuss with you about some of your approaches of composing on a specific angle, which i don't think has been discussed…
  • Stephen, it's an interesting proposition but there is no centre of the musical universe.

At face value, due to the mentality of those who 'go viral', the answer has to be populist.

There are not enough like minded people on the planet with a level of appreciation

that would recognize a masterpiece even if you paid them to sit down and listen to it.

It is not from a perspective of elitist snobbery that I conclude this. It is an easily observable

fact. Consciousness seems to be somewhat limited by ones sphere of interest which in general

seems to be a product of ones environment and social choices.

So the number of You Tube hits would be irrelevant with respect to qualifying something

as a masterpiece, regardless of the source of the inspiration.       RS

Stephen Lines said:

If one was 'inspired' and it led to one composing something that raced around the world and became the centre of the musical universe would one have succeeded in writing a 'masterpiece'........or simply something 'populist'?
    Hey guys !  I would like to discuss with you about some of your approaches of composing on a specific angle, which i don't think has been discussed…
  • Roger,
    I couldn't have put it better myself!

roger stancill said:

Stephen, it's an interesting proposition but there is no centre of the musical universe.

At face value, due to the mentality of those who 'go viral', the answer has to be populist.

There are not enough like minded people on the planet with a level of appreciation

that would recognize a masterpiece even if you paid them to sit down and listen to it.

It is not from a perspective of elitist snobbery that I conclude this. It is an easily observable

fact. Consciousness seems to be somewhat limited by ones sphere of interest which in general

So the number of You Tube hits would be irrelevant with respect to qualifying something

Stephen Lines said:

If one was 'inspired' and it led to one composing something that raced around the world and became the centre of the musical universe would one have succeeded in writing a 'masterpiece'........or simply something 'populist'?
  • I agree with all that but still it seems that John Lennon's songs and Madonna's songs have a lot of hits in youtube which on the other hand I cannot categorize as the same kind of measurement, as the musical caliber  of the musicians behind them is to me of entirely different qualitative level and nature

Stephen Lines said:

Roger,
    I couldn't have put it better myself!

roger stancill said:

Stephen, it's an interesting proposition but there is no centre of the musical universe.

Stephen Lines said:

• Socrates, are you saying that it is the 'performers' and the sound techs

that make a work a masterpiece? No doubt, each can enhance a creative

work, and make it 'the best it can be'. But that is compounding the simplicity

of whether or not the original creative effort is a masterpiece by virtue of

it's own construct and 'inspiration' or it is more 'popular' because it has been

enhanced to meet current popular trends and tastes.

To me for instance, Imagine, is a pop masterpiece. It spoke to the times

in a simple and poignant way. I would not think to compare it to Bach's

Tocatta and Fugue. So yes, there are different measuring sticks and

a wide variety of 'best of' ' catagories. Tho' music may be one gem,

it has many facets.           RS

• Yes Roger, I merely meant that. "Imagine" is a master-song as a composition in comparison to similar songs in youtube with hi hits number (all similarity ends there), which in my opinion are rubbish.

• Paul- You and I are relatively new members here so it is hard to tell whether what happened in this thread today may be a new low for this forum or is just business as usual. I admit I hadn't taken the time to listen to Peter Brown's music (and now don't know where to find it) but that is BESIDE THE POINT. Fredrick's post was like you wrote "not excusable" and "it can never of course be justified".

I read what Peter wrote before he left and deleted all of his posts-- and I thought he was being completely reasonable and in fact responded with some grace (as much as could be expected under the circumstances) to Fredrick's bullying.

And what are we to make of the other members reactions here? No reaction.Peter Brown left the forum and an entire collection of observers (Socrates, Roger, Dexter, Stephen, Scapegoat, Bob, and Piere-Louis) just carry on as if nothing happened. You Paul as a new member were the only person to condemn Fredrick. Shame on all the rest. Unbelievable!

The admins don't notice anything unless someone writes in large pink font- considered highly reprehensible.

I observe that in the past month 3 people who believe that the work of the artist is more than a skillful craft and the composer's role in society should go beyond pleasing the ear and merely being "innovative", have left the forum. And I note that several other like minded people have gone silent.

We're left with the forum's "back issues" to read as far as I'm concerned. Fortunately those will last me a while longer.

Paul Ritchings said:

I can't find the music you are referring to here.  Neither can I find Peter Brown's profile so presumably he's left.  I can't find any of your music either so your superior tone is not excusable.  It can never of course be justified.

Now put up or shut up.  Post some of your music.

Fredrick zinos said:

Well, how very generous of you peter. I've listened to a few of your tacks, referenced above. May I ask, have you ever written anything original? Or is all of your compositional work-product the same kitchy mix of tired formulas and wheezing 19th century harmonies notable only for there predictability?

This reply was deleted.