Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

A kind of ballad..

Thank you for listening.

https://soundcloud.com/progstudiespiano/ch-7-the-long-good-bye-f1

Views: 154

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I found this very interesting. Sort of like a hybrid between classical and jazz. You did it in such a way that everything flowed into something that sounds complete. IOW I didn't immediately pick out that it didn't seem classical or jazz. It simply struck me as an enjoyable creative piece of music initially.

Musically it holds a lot of depth. Not much of what I would call "fluff" playing. The departure left a fresh aspect to take in.

Thanks for sharing it!

Hi Timothy.  I appreciate your characterizations. I, indeed, was going for a blend of late romantic and jazz kind of hybrid. 

Im glad everything seemed to flow in a natural way.  And it is whittled down so there is not much fluff, as you say. 

Thanks so much for listening - and hitting all the points with your feedback!

Also, I am happy that you found it an interesting piece.

I enjoyed this piece thoroughly! Although it's in a very Romantic style (late Romantic as you say, with maybe just a tiny hint of Scriabin in some of the harmonies?), with lots of thick, luscious chords and unexpected turns of harmony, the writing seems very much informed by your studies of Bach... there is counterpoint as well. I'm quite impressed -- kudos!

Thank you, Liz! 

I'm at this point in the piano book where I am able to introduce some harmonic content, which pushes more open - the late romantic harmonic palette.. For much of the tune, I imagined a stand-up bass player playing the low running lines, as one countervoice..  I must admit, the presence of Bach seems to affect some (if not many) of the decisions regarding independent voicing..   Im glad that you enjoyed it!

I can hear in it your very distinctive writing / playing style that I hear in your fugues. Or, rather, should I say that I hear in this piece and in your fugues a very distinctive, characteristic style that I can immediately identify as yours. ;-) (And I don't mean that to be a bad thing, really!)

The style is much more along the lines of that snippet you posted when you first joined the forum (and which I unkindly blasted you for at the time -- but proceeded to write my own harmonization of it) -- I don't know if you remember that.  More modern in flavor.  I suppose you can call that Late Romantic? (I'm getting a bit fuzzy on these designations these days...).

Thank for listening HS (and finding me in it:)   I suppose you know a certain side of my writing, (maybe more than just a 'side') - but in the spirit of 'find the hidden picture', can you can you see me here?:  (all in fun, of course)

https://soundcloud.com/gregoriox88/standing-rock-rmx2t3

Are you referring to a melodic line (without rhythm) I introduced as a group project, for each composer to write their own version of the rhythm of the melody and provide their own harmonic underpinnings? 

If that was it, I don't remember you blasting me for it.  And besides, why would you?  :)

gregorio X said:

Thank for listening HS (and finding me in it:)   I suppose you know a certain side of my writing, (maybe more than just a 'side') - but in the spirit of 'find the hidden picture', can you can you see me here?:  (all in fun, of course)

https://soundcloud.com/gregoriox88/standing-rock-rmx2t3

I've to admit, I'm not getting the title's reference, which may have been a hindrance for me "getting" the piece.  Maybe because of that, or because the "picture" is too well-hidden, I had some trouble finding "you" in it. :-P

Are you referring to a melodic line (without rhythm) I introduced as a group project, for each composer to write their own version of the rhythm of the melody and provide their own harmonic underpinnings? 

If that was it, I don't remember you blasting me for it.  And besides, why would you?  :)

It was this one. I think I was just in a fiesty mood that day for whatever reason. But anyway, that's all water under the bridge. I did end up having lots of fun putting chords to your quirky little melody line. :-)

Really Hilarious to read through that thread from years past, HS.  I see that there was indeed (strong!) resistance

coming from most responders! 

As far as the reference of the title - 'Standing Rock' was were a vigil was kept for months, (on Indian land) where

a oil pipeline (Keystone pipe line) was to go through.  At one point, they brought in the helicopters to frighten and scatter

the protestors. (You may hear a reference to tribal drums which then meshes in with the sound of helicopters, which at one spot is the backdrop bugle type 'war cry'.. ).  Thanks for giving that a listen!

Yes, indeed that was quite the trip down memory lane. :-)  Those were stormier days, though there were definitely gems worth digging through.

I couldn't find your original rendition of the theme, though. The links were dead. Do you happen to still have it around somewhere?  (Not really that important, it's more just for nostalgia than anything else.)

Now I get the "standing rock" reference, and why Mariza commented about helicopters. Will have to give this a listen again sometime to better understand what's going on. :-)

To me this is jazz, without particularly distinct classical aspects. Have I missed something?

It's a pleasant piece, even though I would not be able to tell if it was carefully scored or improvised.

Listened to Standing Rock again. I think I appreciate it a lot more now that I understand the reference in the title... It's extremely cleverly put together, to evoke helicopters and music at the same time. Amazingly well put together.

As far as the "hidden picture" is concerned, though... I've to admit I couldn't identify you. ;-) Perhaps this is more of another side of you that I'm not as familiar with. ;-)

Hi Tillerich.  Thank you for giving this a whirl.  As far as the categorization, I figure that is best left up to the listener's ear.

To my ear, yes, a strong jazz influence, but i hear other stuff as well. 

It is not improvised, but I did want it to have that sort of flavor.  If you would like to see the score, PM me.

I'm glad that you found it pleasant, and thank you for offering your thoughts.

HS... I think I have the score somewhere - (I ended up doing 2 variations)  Should I send you the score, or just post a link for the audio?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service