The Fire In Our Hearts

Hey guys, I am collaborating with a friend on an epic orchestral piece, and am wondering what you think of it. This is only my third orchestral song, so any critiques you have on my instrumentation are welcome and are very helpful.

I have not mastered or fully mixed it yet, but if something stands out to you or you have a suggestion mixing-wise, it would be much appreciated. I'm fairly new to all this. When the song is done I will release it as a single, so keep an eye out for that!

http://bit.ly/1VT6spB

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi!

Very nice piece! I think you could develop it a bit longer. It really has potential for more than 1 minute.
    I am concerned a little by vocalise at the end. About the sound of it. It is a strong motive, it stands out in front, but it is more "artificial" than the rest samples, if you know what I mean. Of course, I know it is hard to get better results with samples... That's just my remark :)
    Generally- good work!

• Oh, and could you tell me what vst plugins did you use? :)

• Thanks Jakub! I guess I forgot to mention this, but I am planning to extend the piece, it's not finished yet lol. Don't worry, it will be longer. As for the vocals, what specifically seemed artificial?  I Haven't added reverb yet to anything, so once I do that everything should sound better/more realistic, and choirs generally have alot of reverb, being behind the orchestra.

Jakub Siembab said:

Hi!

Very nice piece! I think you could develop it a bit longer. It really has potential for more than 1 minute.
    I am concerned a little by vocalise at the end. About the sound of it. It is a strong motive, it stands out in front, but it is more "artificial" than the rest samples, if you know what I mean. Of course, I know it is hard to get better results with samples... That's just my remark :)
    Generally- good work!

• Hey Thomas,

Thanks for the detailed analysis! Unfortunately I can't upload a sheet for it, I composed it in my DAW and it would take a bit of work to transcribe it.

Like I said to Jakub, I am planning on extending what I have now, I guess I didn't make that clear. It just seemed I was at a good point to put out a preview.

So you're saying by going from the horns to the trumpets an octave above is building up? Hmm that's interesting. Makes sense.

After :55 the background does change a little, the rhythm of the percussion changes and I add a tambourine. Also the choir and other instruments come in, I was going for a divisi type sound there. You really don't hear a change at all? Or you do and it's just small?

Thank you for your kind words and help so far, it really helps!

Thomas Lange said:

Hi!

If it's possible, can you upload the sheet for this music, so we can go deeper with helping you? :)

The idea is good and keep working with it. As Jakub said, you should make it more than one minute, but(!) if you want to make it than these are the comments I can give you:

0:00-0:55: The start is very good and you follow it well with the hornes at 0:10. In this way you acctually build up, which is recognizable in the way that the trumpets follow. The idea is good and you should hold on that!

What my problem is, that for a short piece like this, the background doesn't change (or I can't hear it change). If you don't want to change it, you can play with the dinamics or with other instruments that take over this melody (like violins).

0:55-1:16:

To come up from the drop (if I can call that) is a good idea and works well. I got the feeling that you could put something before this part, but it's not important if you are happy with these parts (as ending it is very good!).

I hope you will make it longer, because I can see that it will be a good piece! :)
    Tell us if you have any questions.
    Good luck!

• Hey Thomas,

Ok that makes sense. Sorry I misunderstood you there. I'm thinking that I may give the ostinato to the violas in the second part, for some variety.

I guess I did both in the second part with the trumpets, also that and more in the third section haha. I haven't listened to those songs by Thomas Bergersen and Audiomachine in particular, but I will have to give them a listen, as they both write some great music.

By the way, what song by Thomas Bergersen or Audiomachine do you think sounds closest to this song, in feel and instrumentation?

Thanks and I will!

Thomas Lange said:

Hi Andrew!

I can hear the change after 0:55, but I was thinking about the part before that (0:00-0:55). For that part what I meant was that at the moment you have 2 parts (which I seperated in the previous post) and maybe there could be a 3rd part between them. But it's up to you how you extend this piece.

By the way, building up is an interesting definition, because it can happen in a lot ways. What I mostly use (because it's an easy way) is that I let the instruments play an octave higher, but you can also make stronger instruments (like brass) take over from instruments which normaly don't sound very hard (e.g. woodwinds). If I remember correctly the second method is used a lot of times in epic music (which of course sometimes the choir takes over).
    If you listen to "Thomas Bergersen-Empire of angels", you will recognise this method (he begins with a piano (which is very relaxing) and takes the melody over with violins and cellos.  And for the high playing notes you can hear the violins playing high in the background (when the voice takes over). This is also used a lot for climax of a song (e.g. audiomachine- birth of atlantis). But maybe you know these already. ;)

Good luck and tell us if you are ready!

The Fire In Our Hearts
    Hey guys, I am collaborating with a friend on an epic orchestral piece, and am wondering what you think of it. This is only my third orchestral song,…
  • Hi Thomas,

That's funny you say that, Invincible is the only TSFH album I own haha. I'll have to listen to the whole thing though today. Especially Master of Shadows. Thanks!

This reply was deleted.