Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

The Empty Plateia For Solo B♭ Clarinet

I've previously posted a version of this for alto flute.

The audio file was created with software as a demo.

Score pdf and audio file attached.

Audio file also at SoundCloud The Empty Plateia for Solo B Clarinet.

There is also a live recorded performance at:

https://youtu.be/62xS1cs6ihw

Comments welcome.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version of February 27 2020.

For performance, recording, or other permission, please see my permissions page.

Image: Kos, Greece, from A Pictorial Tour in the Mediterranean by John Harrison Allan, 1843, colorized by Jon Corelis

Views: 32

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I enjoyed what you have written, but I would liked to hear the piece expanded more. This sounds like a fine introduction to a solo clarinet piece that could be around the 6-8 minute mark. I was hearing inside my head a next section with an Eastern European or Mideastern dance theme adding some flavor. Then you could add a pleasant pastoral melodic section, then leading us to probably the dance section again but showing off some fingering techniques and then back to something like your intro to finish it or end it on a high note for bigger audience approval. Clarinet music majors are always looking for solo pieces like this, but where it stands now you need more music imho or the audience will be like, “Is that it?” * with awkward applause. Trust me, I’ve been there. 

Thanks for the useful comments.  I'm always revising and will consider implementing some of your suggestions in a future version.  One reason this and many other of my pieces are so short is that I've seen a lot of calls for scores in the 1 to 5 minute range, some of which I've succeeded in getting scores accepted by, so I get the impression there is a demand for "miniatures."  I've done something along the line of what you suggest here in other compositions, for instance, my small-ensemble piece The Dream of Lygdamis.

Rodney Carlyle Money said:

I enjoyed what you have written, but I would liked to hear the piece expanded more. This sounds like a fine introduction to a solo clarinet piece that could be around the 6-8 minute mark. I was hearing inside my head a next section with an Eastern European or Mideastern dance theme adding some flavor. Then you could add a pleasant pastoral melodic section, then leading us to probably the dance section again but showing off some fingering techniques and then back to something like your intro to finish it or end it on a high note for bigger audience approval. Clarinet music majors are always looking for solo pieces like this, but where it stands now you need more music imho or the audience will be like, “Is that it?” * with awkward applause. Trust me, I’ve been there. 

I liked it thus far. I would tend to agree with Rodney. It's a great compo. 

Thanks for the response; I'm glad you liked it.

Timothy Smith said:

I liked it thus far. I would tend to agree with Rodney. It's a great compo. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service