Replies

• *cough*

• I gave this a listen, thought it was interesting. Is the recording of you playing the recorders?

Might be of more help if I had a score, but even then I may not be of much use, lol.

• Score attached.

Yes, that's me playing.

• I liked this a lot. Without picking out individual elements I would comment on the entire piece and say it has nicely woven intricate passages. Would make an excellent piece for real life players!

The video was interesting as well. You even showed the crashed space ship on the moon! :)

• I rely on archive.org for videos that are marginally related to the music. Yes, that hoax video was intresting.

Timothy Smith said:

The video was interesting as well. You even showed the crashed space ship on the moon! :)

• My first impression was that the accompaniment of repeated chords went on too long... but then you started doing interesting things with that idea as the note values became shorter and the interplay more intricate... sometimes letting it subside almost completely, but never abandoning it, making of it almost a kind of idee fixe. A very pretty short piece, nicely done.

• That's the eternal balancing act, right? Establish a pattern, and know when to vary it.

• I found that as a piece of music this is polished and entertaining, with an attractive whimsical nature that the instruments chosen seem well suited to convey.

My criticism would be of the piece's non-musical qualities.  I didn't find it a very good match for the video, especially since in a lot of the video I couldn't tell what was going on.  And I'm not sure that the title is a good choice: so far as I know, "sublunary" has always been used as a somewhat disparaging term to describe the the ordinary world, as opposed to the changeless empyrean of ideal forms that existed in the spheres beyond that of the Moon, according to ancient cosmology.  The music doesn't seem to connect to that idea.

• thanks for listening and thanks for your comments.

0. Glad you liked it.

1. The video is mostly a device to make it possible to post on Facebook and to hold poeple's attention longer. I just grab whatever I can find on archive.org. Usually my videos are at best tangentially related to the musical substance.

2. Thanks for your explanation of the connotations behind "sublunary". (This was written for the lunar new year a few weeks ago, and I grabbed the first word that had "lunar" in it.) I agree that it doesn't cover the musical idea. "Moonrise" is what the title will be from now.

Jon Corelis said:

My criticism would be of the piece's non-musical qualities.  I didn't find it a very good match for the video, especially since in a lot of the video I couldn't tell what was going on.  And I'm not sure that the title is a good choice: so far as I know, "sublunary" has always been used as a somewhat disparaging term to describe the the ordinary world, as opposed to the changeless empyrean of ideal forms that existed in the spheres beyond that of the Moon, according to ancient cosmology.  The music doesn't seem to connect to that idea.

This reply was deleted.