Strings

Just looking for opinions as far as strings. I just purchased EWQL Silver (because that's what I can afford right now) I am discovering there are so many brands out there.Where would EWQL rank compared to LASS, Symphobia, etc.Also is Kontakt the most widely used player?

Thank you in advance, just planning for the future.

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• ok ewql emailed me, I can see and hear the PLAY now, but I can't quite get it to load into FL Studio, says it is missing QT4core.dll
    my pc has intel core 2 processor 4gigs of ram
    samples are loaded on an external hard drive I had to drag and drop the play.dll into a vst folder, I couldn't see another way to load
    thanks

Ray Kemp said:
    OK Cricket,

Let's talk about EWQLSO Silver here and how we can get you up and running with it.

Howzabout telling us what your computer specs are so we can get it done. There should be no problem with Vista and iLok.
    I take it you have an iLok dongle? You've just got to get the sample folder on the HD preferably a separate physical drive from the one your OS is on.

Posting Roberto's Silver Demo was simply to prove that the skill of producing a musical arrangement is in the hands of the user of the tools. The more accomplished the user gets, the more they can achieve as they improve their tools. This is true in every craft there has ever been. Now, most people including me will never get the max from our tools, but we absolutely should be spurred on by hearing it can be done. Roberto's demo certainly proves to most writers of orchestral music, the possibility of supplying a very musical audio file along with a score for real ensembles to get an idea of what's wanted, however. If as a composer you have no inclination to learn the tricks of the trade in getting the best out of the technology you can afford. Spending more money on "better" libraries simply will not help you. In fact, many of them are more complex and will hinder productivity.

Ray
    Strings
    Just looking for opinions as far as strings. I just purchased EWQL Silver (because that's what I can afford right now) I am discovering there are so…
  • That's good advice. Cubase Essentials is only £100 (approx) and it serves me well (the outdated version Cubase SE).

Chris Alpiar said:
    First piece (and probably the best ever) I will give ya: drop fruity loops like a girl with leprosy. Its just a hunk o junk and all it will do is make your products weak and amateurish. You can get in the door on a real DAW for not so much, check out an LE version of any of the major DAWs: Logic, Digital Performer, Cubase, Sonar, ProTools, and just get your mind in the game instead of floating on the surface ;-)

Cricket Mandingo said:
    ok ewql emailed me, I can see and hear the PLAY now, but I can't quite get it to load into FL Studio, says it is missing QT4core.dll
    my pc has intel core 2 processor 4gigs of ram
    samples are loaded on an external hard drive I had to drag and drop the play.dll into a vst folder, I couldn't see another way to load
    thanks

Ray Kemp said:
    OK Cricket,

Let's talk about EWQLSO Silver here and how we can get you up and running with it.

Howzabout telling us what your computer specs are so we can get it done. There should be no problem with Vista and iLok.
    I take it you have an iLok dongle? You've just got to get the sample folder on the HD preferably a separate physical drive from the one your OS is on.

Posting Roberto's Silver Demo was simply to prove that the skill of producing a musical arrangement is in the hands of the user of the tools. The more accomplished the user gets, the more they can achieve as they improve their tools. This is true in every craft there has ever been. Now, most people including me will never get the max from our tools, but we absolutely should be spurred on by hearing it can be done. Roberto's demo certainly proves to most writers of orchestral music, the possibility of supplying a very musical audio file along with a score for real ensembles to get an idea of what's wanted, however. If as a composer you have no inclination to learn the tricks of the trade in getting the best out of the technology you can afford. Spending more money on "better" libraries simply will not help you. In fact, many of them are more complex and will hinder productivity.

Ray
  • Are you talking about the strings in Garritan Personal Orchestra or Garritan Orchestral Strings? Because GPO is "Tesco's Value" fizzy plonk in comparison to GOS's "Don Perrignon" champagne. They are a completely different ballgame.

John Mercer said:
    The problem I find with the EWQL gold and silver is that there is too much reverb on many of the samples - try the harp for example. I know you can use the other mic positions for a massive fee hike but I would have preferred a dryer sound to begin with - so although in theory the samples are great I end up using good old Garritan for the control I can get.

So best string sound I get is to use my Garritan samples for the body of the sound then overlay a friend playing for real to get the art into the articulation.

More generally samples can be made to sound okay if you really understand how the instrument is player -particulary true of strings and classical guitars all of which sound truly terrible if used with a flat midi file.
    Strings
    Just looking for opinions as far as strings. I just purchased EWQL Silver (because that's what I can afford right now) I am discovering there are so…
  • What are SSDs, James?

James Semple said:
    Hi, I think we need clarity on this thread. My understanding is that when Milan says EWQL are the best strings he is referring specifically to Hollywood Strings which is a state-of-the-art string library. I have to agree with pretty much everything he says about playability and sound ... might disagree about PLAY which although it's a lot better now still has a few issues (like it's not 64-bit on a Mac yet because of iLok drivers). Other composers I know that use it tell me the only way to get decent performance on it within a template is using SSDs.

I also agree that some other modern string libraries can require a fair bit of production skill to get the best out of them. LASS is beautiful in the right hands (check out Colin O' Malley's demos for example.)

The strings in EWQL SO Gold are ok but they're not comparable with modern string libraries. They're not bad and I love the staccato samples but they're lacking in programming finesse (cross fades are pretty rough to be honest).

Cinematic Strings are a nice library and do sound good out of the box. They don't have a lot of articulations and unlike LASS and HS they don't have sordino samples.

Milan, did you mean that Logic strings have 'major trills'? That just means they have major second trills. There is no other commercial library out at the moment that offers larger trills (technically finger tremelo) but VSL have minor and major thirds as well. It's an impressive articulation because it's used a lot in symphonic writing.

SoniVOX Symphonic Strings are the only commercial string library endorsed by Hans Zimmer. They have a beautiful tone and are wonderful for sustains. They also have a load of excellent effects. Unfortunately the programming is quite dated by modern standards so no true legato or anything like that. They have mentioned updating the programming for this library.

I'm trying out some 'other' strings tonight and I will see how they sound compared to commercial libs.
    Strings
  • Ok, I'll give it a try. I have a version of Cubase LE4. I guess it is there already. It must also work with the Digi hardware. Thank you for your advice. I have much work, for a third cd, and I do not want to take a path unstable. A stupid question: what TBH?

Chris Alpiar said:
    on PC you are best off with Cubase or Sonar over Pro Tools for sequencing. They DID make some massive changes in PT to make the midi tools better, but its still crap compared to cubase or sonar. ProTools is actually not great for recording algorithms either, so if you are serious about tracking and mixing you would do well to dump ProTools as well. If you want a serious AUDIO program, check out SaDIE or there is a new no-midi DAW from Oxford that is balls to the wall excellent. PT used to be amazing but they decided to put DSP power into plugins and instruments instead of actual recording/monitoring, and actually the HD stuff is worse even than the LE. I keep an updated ProTools in my studio, but only because some of my clients ask me for stems made up in PT. But otherwise i would leave it alone. Personally with all I have learned and know (having started with Cakewalk and Vision in the 80s and worked with most every sequencer and later DAW), your best bet for excellent midi tools but very good recording algorithms and excellent working of VST/VSTi I would hit it with Cubase TBH

Claude Marc Bourget said:
    I watch Pro-tools and I think he can do anything. But Cubase, however, has a better interface, I think, more natural. I am trying to establish the following Pro-Tools/Sibelius/Eastwest, but it is not easy! I think we need some humility (an economy, as we say in French) tools for a creator, because he may lose his life in quest of material. But the temptations are great!
    Strings
  • You get that with HALion, but I don't like those "key switch" facilities. You have to put your score line into piano mode and draw these ridiculously low notes to change the articulation, and then back again. Oooooh, messy!!

Chris Alpiar said:
    Yea well you can also just draw in midi notes/controllers in any DAW. But yea one track for violin 1, not like giga days with 12-15 tracks with all the articulations you need. I am just as efficient in DP using VSL as in Cubase, tho Ray is right, they did add a little tiny bit of interface to more easily work with those aspects of sample libs

Ray Kemp said:
    I believe you use Cubase 5
    There are articulation map files already written for VSL instruments that allow quick changes within one track.

Milan Simovski said:
    so, ewql is basicly just what you get from the box and not much editing and tweaking possible?
    what can you tell about the VSL how is it for work is it easy to controll articulations on one channel? for example one staff one channel?
    >
    Strings
  • you can try nuendo too, I worked in nuendo before I changed on Mac

Chris Alpiar said:
    on PC you are best off with Cubase or Sonar over Pro Tools for sequencing. They DID make some massive changes in PT to make the midi tools better, but its still crap compared to cubase or sonar. ProTools is actually not great for recording algorithms either, so if you are serious about tracking and mixing you would do well to dump ProTools as well. If you want a serious AUDIO program, check out SaDIE or there is a new no-midi DAW from Oxford that is balls to the wall excellent. PT used to be amazing but they decided to put DSP power into plugins and instruments instead of actual recording/monitoring, and actually the HD stuff is worse even than the LE. I keep an updated ProTools in my studio, but only because some of my clients ask me for stems made up in PT. But otherwise i would leave it alone. Personally with all I have learned and know (having started with Cakewalk and Vision in the 80s and worked with most every sequencer and later DAW), your best bet for excellent midi tools but very good recording algorithms and excellent working of VST/VSTi I would hit it with Cubase TBH

Claude Marc Bourget said:
    I watch Pro-tools and I think he can do anything. But Cubase, however, has a better interface, I think, more natural. I am trying to establish the following Pro-Tools/Sibelius/Eastwest, but it is not easy! I think we need some humility (an economy, as we say in French) tools for a creator, because he may lose his life in quest of material. But the temptations are great!
    Strings
  • The keyswitch things can work and you can even customise your track to ignore certain ranges of notes in stave mode.

Simon, SSDs are Solid State Drives.
  • Thank you Ray. Most noble, I'm sure.

Ray Kemp said:
    Mr. Godden,

I bow to your greater knowledge of these things, so I have nothing more to give here.

Simon Godden said:
    You get that with HALion, but I don't like those "key switch" facilities. You have to put your score line into piano mode and draw these ridiculously low notes to change the articulation, and then back again. Oooooh, messy!!

Chris Alpiar said:
    Yea well you can also just draw in midi notes/controllers in any DAW. But yea one track for violin 1, not like giga days with 12-15 tracks with all the articulations you need. I am just as efficient in DP using VSL as in Cubase, tho Ray is right, they did add a little tiny bit of interface to more easily work with those aspects of sample libs

Ray Kemp said:
    I believe you use Cubase 5
    There are articulation map files already written for VSL instruments that allow quick changes within one track.

Milan Simovski said:
    so, ewql is basicly just what you get from the box and not much editing and tweaking possible?
    what can you tell about the VSL how is it for work is it easy to controll articulations on one channel? for example one staff one channel?
    >
  • Thanks James.

James Semple said:
    The keyswitch things can work and you can even customise your track to ignore certain ranges of notes in stave mode.

Simon, SSDs are Solid State Drives.
    Strings
This reply was deleted.