Strings

Just looking for opinions as far as strings. I just purchased EWQL Silver (because that's what I can afford right now) I am discovering there are so many brands out there.Where would EWQL rank compared to LASS, Symphobia, etc.Also is Kontakt the most widely used player?

Thank you in advance, just planning for the future.

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• i use logic 9, but I guess its the same, cool

Ray Kemp said:
    I believe you use Cubase 5
    There are articulation map files already written for VSL instruments that allow quick changes within one track.

Milan Simovski said:
    so, ewql is basicly just what you get from the box and not much editing and tweaking possible?
    what can you tell about the VSL how is it for work is it easy to controll articulations on one channel? for example one staff one channel?
    >
  • (Excuse my bad english)

I use strings EWQL Platinum, but in my case, especially the solo intruments (duet, trio, quartet, quintet, etc.). They behave in an excellent manner, if we forget certain irregularities in volume between instruments but also between the attacks of the same instrument. But there is a style EWQL, a sound that is very beautiful and you get used. The superiority of LASS, probably obvious to the sets (because of multiple records for each sound), not certain for solos. I do not know, however, VSL, but I note that none of the three offer harmonics (for solo instruments). The only ones that offer all the solo's harmonics are Xsample. But again, there are flaws. The sound is rough (very "bartok") and is in just 16 bits, which for me is enough. All that to say that finally I am happy with EWQL Platinum, including soundset by J. Loving for Sibelius.

cm
  • Hi Claude,

Are you sure that VSL solo strings don't offer harmonics? http://vsl.co.at/en/211/442/344/350/568/353.htm

One thing I'll say is that VSL offer an insane number of articulations and their solo strings are probably the best available right now.

Claude Marc Bourget said:
    (Excuse my bad english)

I use strings EWQL Platinum, but in my case, especially the solo intruments (duet, trio, quartet, quintet, etc.). They behave in an excellent manner, if we forget certain irregularities in volume between instruments but also between the attacks of the same instrument. But there is a style EWQL, a sound that is very beautiful and you get used. The superiority of LASS, probably obvious to the sets (because of multiple records for each sound), not certain for solos. I do not know, however, VSL, but I note that none of the three offer harmonics (for solo instruments). The only ones that offer all the solo's harmonics are Xsample. But again, there are flaws. The sound is rough (very "bartok") and is in just 16 bits, which for me is enough. All that to say that finally I am happy with EWQL Platinum, including soundset by J. Loving for Sibelius.

cm
  • I'm going to annoy everyone now. Although the Miroslav Ensemble strings (however beautiful) are just about versatile enough to create nice sounding pads. The solo strings are a completely different matter, and I can honestly say that I have never heard better solo string samples (and that includes the expensive ones).
  • For a demo, Cris, I think that Sibelius is sufficient. I put on my page an example. But, in fact, for a final work either in film or new music for a push to use the samples below (and differently) than the human performers, it is necessary to go with a DAW. I personally use Pro-tools 8 in my digidesign studio. Question: Is it Cubase higher for midi adjustment ?
  • Claude, I think Cubase definitely used to be but I've heard that Pro Tools made some major advances in the final release. I would say that most people would still use Cubase over Pro Tools for MIDI fine-tuning (but Pro Tools for final mix.)

For a demo, Cris, I think that Sibelius is sufficient. I put on my page an example. But, in fact, for a final work either in film or new music for a push to use the samples below (and differently) than the human performers, it is necessary to go with a DAW. I personally use Pro-tools 8 in my digidesign studio. Question: Is it Cubase higher for midi adjustment ?
    Strings
    Just looking for opinions as far as strings. I just purchased EWQL Silver (because that's what I can afford right now) I am discovering there are so…
  • I'll watch this carefully. There are not many examples of use of solo strings. Yet an interesting thing.

James Semple said:
    Hi Claude,

Are you sure that VSL solo strings don't offer harmonics? http://vsl.co.at/en/211/442/344/350/568/353.htm

One thing I'll say is that VSL offer an insane number of articulations and their solo strings are probably the best available right now.

(Excuse my bad english)

cm
    Strings
    Just looking for opinions as far as strings. I just purchased EWQL Silver (because that's what I can afford right now) I am discovering there are so…
  • I watch Pro-tools and I think he can do anything. But Cubase, however, has a better interface, I think, more natural. I am trying to establish the following Pro-Tools/Sibelius/Eastwest, but it is not easy! I think we need some humility (an economy, as we say in French) tools for a creator, because he may lose his life in quest of material. But the temptations are great!
  • have you tried logic? I have never worked with protools, but as I have heared people combine logic and protools often

I watch Pro-tools and I think he can do anything. But Cubase, however, has a better interface, I think, more natural. I am trying to establish the following Pro-Tools/Sibelius/Eastwest, but it is not easy! I think we need some humility (an economy, as we say in French) tools for a creator, because he may lose his life in quest of material. But the temptations are great!
    Strings
  • No, I'm in Windows (Logic is MAC only, I think). Friends of mine use Pyramix. First, there are recording systems, as I record the piano improvised for my next project and then combine it with other instruments. The recording and mixing quality is essential. On the other hand, if we learned to write on paper, Sibelius is wonderful. I think Pro-Tools and Sibelius (AVID both now) is a very hard choice.
This reply was deleted.