Stormdrum and other Percussion VST

Hi guys, I'm still very new to digital composing and my sound library is quite limited at the moment. I primarily use East West's Symphonic Orchestra and Symphonic Choirs.  I've also obtained other little VST instruments and effects here and there, but nothing of great quality (most were free).  Anyway, what do you guys think of Stormdrum/Stormdrum2? It seems like it would be a great investment for me for percussion instruments/effects. Has anyone had any experiences with this or other similar percussion software? Are there any other good percussion soundsets floating around that may be cheaper or even free? I currently have timpani, snare drums, couple woodblock sounds, and a drumset(hiphop) and I would like to upgrade my options. Thanks for taking the time to read and excuse my poor grammar :/

--Steve Hatchfield

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'd suggest you to take a look at this:
    Projectsam Truestrike 2
    This is a must have! awesome sounding ethnic and cinematic percussion and effects (bowed cymbals gongs and such)
  • If you want percussion loops you have :

stormdrum 1 / 2
    evolve
    ez drummer
    deep percussions
    epic drums (big fish audio)
    etc

And if you want percussions without loops :

tonehammer epic tom
    true strike 1 and 2
    cinetoms
    drum of war 1 and 2 by cinesamples

• Thanks guys, and taking a look through Symphonic Orchestra, I didn't realize how many percussion instruments actually came with the set. Now I have something to start with and I know where to go when I'm ready to upgrade.

In particular I know I will be looking for some ethnic sounds like Djembes and the like and I really like the sounds (not just percussion) that James Horner used in Avatar.

Thanks again,

Steve

• The Tonehammer stuff is incredible. Check out their Epic Dhols. Amazing sound.

For orchestral percussion, nothing else comes close to Spitfire Orchestral Percussion.

There's some awesome stuff inside Stylus RMX as well.
  • I believe Stormdrum 2 (play version) is on sale until 12 midnight TONIGHT ($197.50) PST
  • Ohhh man thanks for the heads up, that may be too good to resist

Pepper Williams said:
    I believe Stormdrum 2 (play version) is on sale until 12 midnight TONIGHT ($197.50) PST
    Stormdrum and other Percussion VST
    Hi guys, I'm still very new to digital composing and my sound library is quite limited at the moment. I primarily use East West's Symphonic Orchestra…
  • I believe some of the drums used in avatar where from Cinesamples "Drums of war".
This reply was deleted.