Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Views: 44

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Alright a few comments as a trumpet player who’s played the piece: the accents are too hard especially in the low concert Bb’s, can you use some lower warmer dynamics the trumpets especially sound like they are marching band high schoolers struggling and playing too loudly, and do you have samples without the vibrato? It sounds too Latin. Trombones too legato and long when they come in, should sound like a true fanfare there, the accents sound more like out of place stabs, are there missing notes around 1:55? Between 2:12 and 2:13 maybe a slight pause or breathe? After 2:13 the accents just sound out of place and too harsh. Overall sometimes the trumpets sound too harsh, the low brass needs to be more staccato, lower dynamics especially at the beginning, needs more bass drum and maybe more reverb in the timpani, think beautiful brass more than Fanfare for most of the piece, and get rid of the Latino vibrato in the trumpets especially. 

Ouch! Thanks for your comments, Rodney.

I did a straight transcription of a score I found without any automation.

Staffpad for all the things I like about it does have issues with articulation.

Someone else mentioned breath pauses, I will have to shorten the notes and play with the tempo.

I am not sure if non vib works, will have to try.

Thank you for taking the criticism. I’m definitely not trying to be mean, just trying to help. In the next couple of weeks I will actually be getting Staffpad so I thank you for doing this! Of all the forums and Facebook groups on the inter webs I feel that I can be the most honest here because I’ve known y’all for a lot longer. Thank you again. 

Sounds great Michael, thanks for sharing this! So this is not the standard library that comes with Staffpad? It looks like there are other libraries that you can get, I wonder how different they would be as far as articulations etc. Did you export an mp3 directly from Staffpad, it seems pretty loud, Sibelius exports are quiet unless you adjust them.

The stock libraries are OK but the bought libraries much better particularly strings. There are spitfire, OT Berlin and Cinesamples.

Haven’t checked the mp3 to see what it’s parameters are, and yes direct from StaffPad. Can also do wav, aac, midi, XML and stem. Prefer .aac output but Gav says mp3 more accessible.

Ingo Lee said:

Sounds great Michael, thanks for sharing this! So this is not the standard library that comes with Staffpad? It looks like there are other libraries that you can get, I wonder how different they would be as far as articulations etc. Did you export an mp3 directly from Staffpad, it seems pretty loud, Sibelius exports are quiet unless you adjust them.

Berlin comes with four horns and three trumpets.Found out that 2nd trumpet has the wide vibrato.The articulations are an issue some are two short, too loud, too soft. Not all parts have them all. StaffPad Berlin Brass on the iPad are 2.6G quite a bit smaller than the full set I think.

Rodney Carlyle Money said:

Thank you for taking the criticism. I’m definitely not trying to be mean, just trying to help. In the next couple of weeks I will actually be getting Staffpad so I thank you for doing this! Of all the forums and Facebook groups on the inter webs I feel that I can be the most honest here because I’ve known y’all for a lot longer. Thank you again. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service