Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

This is a pseudo-religious cantata written for SATB choir and chamber orchestra. There are a few SOLO parts for tenor and soprano to be song out of the choir.

https://soundcloud.com/user-852737091/stabat-mater-aci-icinde-duran

This piece is 15 minutes long, 23 pages 147 bars. Single movement. It uses ten stanzas similar to Verdi’s Stabat Mater. The text is similar to and with some quotations from Stabat Mater in Latin. It is written by the composer.

LYRICS
STOOD HER IN PAIN
A mother ablaze in grief is standing here
At the side of his son, in tears
At the head of his lifeless body...

When his soul is soughing
With this pitiless stroke
He passed away to eternity.

How heart-sick how triste
Had his mother bless
Against invisible accidents

Mourning and saddenning
Beloved mother did see
Her son’s unutterable pain

Is there a human-being without
Lacrima, who sees her lose
his son, who sees her in pain

Who does not sadden
Who does not get petrified
Looking at her morning for her son

For the mistakes his people did
For the things they couldn’t do in peace
She lost her dear son

She saw her beloved son
Devastated and smitten
Let his soul pass away.

O mother,the spring of love
Let me feel sorrow for you
Let me mourn with you.

May my heart glow with fire
In God’s love for the human-being
To make him pleased by this
Amen.

Views: 67

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's brilliant. I know the sorrow that is in this piece. All I can say is I'm right there with you and I appreciate your honesty.

Well, this is a large work with huge contrasts.

Beautiful indeed. An accomplished piece that somehow looks back to earlier works you posted here. I found the score. The ensemble makes for some interesting instrumentation.

I won't try to analyse it except to tell of some points that grabbed my attention. The intensity at bar 52 followed by the long chromatic fall to bar 60 - not particularly loud but most intense. This is followed by a few florid moments in the winds - bar 61. After the tenor "Is there a human being" this becomes a 'reaching up' from the deeper to the higher woodwind. You use this figuration a lot in the work. Most effective.

(You gave the bassoon nice high one in Bar 112 (it looks like bar 112, the number isn't too disticnct).

And I particularly loved the sudden quietude in bar 105 with the Soprano "She saw her beloved". 

Finally, the long Amen after that most lyrical passage for just the strings (some very nice harmony in those last two pages).

All I can say is congratulations. It must be unique. I'm familiar with one or two 'modern' composers who've written cantata-like works (Ligetti, Bartok, Lutaslov... can't remember how to spell his name!) but nothing like this. But like I said, it seems to fit with your earlier work.

A fascinating a pleasurable listen.

All good wishes,

Dane

This is a very impressive extended work Ali, well conceived, developed and executed.  It is somber and trying to listen to at times which is exactly as it should be with the subject matter you are addressing. The loss of a child is probably the most difficult thing someone can face in life and I really don't think it could be represented musically any more effectively than you have done here. I admire your courage and determination to accomplish this.  It would be amazing in a live presentation.

Hi Dane, I appreciate your interest and listening.

Sadly, I can not remember much about this work.  I had to sight read it in order to remember it again.

I liked it too.  This is what I want/ed to do actually.  I have to restudy it and remember.

I like the glow part at the end. I remember the idea was to do something like ..  I cannot remember the composer again.

I have difficulties... Too much work done.  I am trying to write a musical nowadays, longer than 1 hour, 12tone
theme for dancers and tonal/Shoenberg tonal melodies etc... more than 17 numbers/songs....

I am sorry I can't.

Thanks again.

Ali
Dane Aubrun said:

Well, this is a large work with huge contrasts.

Beautiful indeed. An accomplished piece that somehow looks back to earlier works you posted here. I found the score. The ensemble makes for some interesting instrumentation.

I won't try to analyse it except to tell of some points that grabbed my attention. The intensity at bar 52 followed by the long chromatic fall to bar 60 - not particularly loud but most intense. This is followed by a few florid moments in the winds - bar 61. After the tenor "Is there a human being" this becomes a 'reaching up' from the deeper to the higher woodwind. You use this figuration a lot in the work. Most effective.

(You gave the bassoon nice high one in Bar 112 (it looks like bar 112, the number isn't too disticnct).

And I particularly loved the sudden quietude in bar 105 with the Soprano "She saw her beloved". 

Finally, the long Amen after that most lyrical passage for just the strings (some very nice harmony in those last two pages).

All I can say is congratulations. It must be unique. I'm familiar with one or two 'modern' composers who've written cantata-like works (Ligetti, Bartok, Lutaslov... can't remember how to spell his name!) but nothing like this. But like I said, it seems to fit with your earlier work.

A fascinating a pleasurable listen.

All good wishes,

Dane

Hi Ingo,

Gratitude, nothing else I can.  Yours are the most beautiful words I have heard about any of my works.

I checked your pages and could not find any of your works.  I found your David Bruce recommendation and

liked it very much.  I would like to learn more from you.

Ali

Ingo Lee said:

This is a very impressive extended work Ali, well conceived, developed and executed.  It is somber and trying to listen to at times which is exactly as it should be with the subject matter you are addressing. The loss of a child is probably the most difficult thing someone can face in life and I really don't think it could be represented musically any more effectively than you have done here. I admire your courage and determination to accomplish this.  It would be amazing in a live presentation.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service