Song 'First Time'

Here I'd like to share a new song with you. Whhereas my last contribution here, "The Hiker", was rather in a sad mood, this one is more a happy springtime song :-) The singer is represented by an englich Horn.

Do you think I should add some percussion ?

http://gerdprengel.de/first_time.mp3

Gerd

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Gerd,

I like this, it definitely does have a nice cheery feel to it! I like how you add parts in as it goes along, and weave them together. Well done! In my opinion, if percussion is added in, care should be taken not to overdo it, as the rhythm is pretty well driven along already.

• Hi Gerd, this is an appealing pop tune that has commercial potential I think, as a sound track or underscore music.  Then again with the addition of a vocalist perhaps even wider sales?

• Hello Gerd,

Well, your excellence at 'line' shows through again! A very nice song and stands up as a piece for CA and piano even if written for voice.

I think: forget the percussion. What can it add? The song has a certain delicacy and the piano is percussive enough for that.

My only misgiving is the fade out at the end - very pop-songy still in vogue with modern so-called composers of pop music because their modal, quasi-bluesy stuff doesn't lend itself to reaching a cadence. However, a cadence could easily be reached in this piece, say, the second round of the closing phrase.

Altogether lovely,

Dane/ 

• Dear, James, Ingo and Dane,

thank you for your feedback. This encourages me instead of just doing neo-classical music as in the recent years to dig out some more of my 20 year old songs and record them aney :-)

@Dane, what does "at 'line'" and 'CA' mean?

Gerd

• Hi Gerd,

Oh sorry... CA was Cor Anglais, and by line I meant the linear melody, your skill at creating a good sounding, cohesive melody (something I'm hopeless at)!

• Hi the melody is nice but it gets too repetitious after a while, I would add a strong contrasting theme and also try to enhance the quality of the sound. Are you using any DAW to write your compositions? Try Pro Logic X to get quality piano sounds and Albion one to add some realistic string sounds.

Regards

• Dear Saul, yes, you are right, it is a bit repetitious in the end. There is indeed a contrasting theme in minor towards the end but I should enlarge that portion ...

Regarding the DAW I must admitt. that I don't use that. Once I tried Vienna Symphonic Librayry (VSL) but it was too much labour... I didn't make it... Maybe when I retire in 6 years ;-) Also you need a keyboard to properly use DAW (what I don't have), right? I can only edit notes ... 

The tool you mention is for Apple but I have only Windows ...

Gerd

Saul Gefen said:

Hi the melody is nice but it gets too repetitious after a while, I would add a strong contrasting theme and also try to enhance the quality of the sound. Are you using any DAW to write your compositions? Try Pro Logic X to get quality piano sounds and Albion one to add some realistic string sounds.

Regards

Song 'First Time'
    Here I'd like to share a new song with you. Whhereas my last contribution here, The Hiker , was rather in a sad mood, this one is more a happy sprin…
  • Hi Gerd,

I think that getting a good DAW will enhance your music considerably, maybe you think about it...

Regards,

Saul

Gerd Prengel said:

Dear Saul, yes, you are right, it is a bit repetitious in the end. There is indeed a contrasting theme in minor towards the end but I should enlarge that portion ...

Regarding the DAW I must admitt. that I don't use that. Once I tried Vienna Symphonic Librayry (VSL) but it was too much labour... I didn't make it... Maybe when I retire in 6 years ;-) Also you need a keyboard to properly use DAW (what I don't have), right? I can only edit notes ... 

The tool you mention is for Apple but I have only Windows ...

Gerd

Saul Gefen said:

Hi the melody is nice but it gets too repetitious after a while, I would add a strong contrasting theme and also try to enhance the quality of the sound. Are you using any DAW to write your compositions? Try Pro Logic X to get quality piano sounds and Albion one to add some realistic string sounds.

Regards

Song 'First Time'
    Here I'd like to share a new song with you. Whhereas my last contribution here, The Hiker , was rather in a sad mood, this one is more a happy sprin…
  •  Thumbs up Gerd!! I loved it!

This reply was deleted.