Replies

• Ahh.  Lovely.  The only thing I can think of to add is that the lower notes in the beginning may cloud the sound, but don't take my word for it.  I'd try it on a real piano.  The progressions you use seem kind "new."  Not like modern but like the new tonality that has arisen from these like video game music and music for medias like anime.  May I ask your influences?  

• Thanks for the kind comments!

i think you are right, film/video game music has definitely been a significant influence on me. I also would say Ravel is another big one.

I think I like the low bass notes in the beginning, since they are far enough from the melody, but I will of course figure something out for the bass in measure 10.

Daniel Zarb-Cousin said:

Ahh.  Lovely.  The only thing I can think of to add is that the lower notes in the beginning may cloud the sound, but don't take my word for it.  I'd try it on a real piano.  The progressions you use seem kind "new."  Not like modern but like the new tonality that has arisen from these like video game music and music for medias like anime.  May I ask your influences?  

Sonatina in E
    I'm working on a piece for solo piano, and I've got a kind of exposition finished so far. Any feedback would be welcome.
  • Reviewing music is difficult for me. I often find that what I hear the first time and how I feel about it is not the same as what I hear and feel after listening a few more times and over the course of a few days. I wish I had the time to review all posted works that way, but I don't.

My impression after a few listens is that the piece sounds disconnected. It goes here and there and even seems to switch from being one thing to another (around the 1:00 mark the sound doesn't seem to fit the rest of the piece). There seems to be a lot crammed into 2:26 (I can hear the voice of a friend who reviews my pieces: "wait..you need to develop that theme more." When I think I've exhausted all variations, he thinks I've just started).

FWIW, my ears perked up at 2:00. In my opinion, you could take the theme that starts from there up to 2:20 and work that into a 2 minute piece. I would actually suggest you give that a try: reduce the theme there to its most basic format then see if you can develop just that theme for two minutes. If it seems hard, find some some Mozart or Beethoven "variations on a theme" pieces for inspiration.

• Its a lovely piece. Great use of motives and harmonic language, though at times I felt that the chords were a bit too dense and could use a little editing out of doubled notes. If this is just the exposition you might also want to reconsider calling it a sonatina because it seems to be project itself to be a much longer piece. other than that it is really good, great job. 

This reply was deleted.