Sntax - Brandon Schwab

Sntax (prnounced syntax) is a piece for 7+ trombones by Brandon Schwab. This work is a collection of 3 distinct movements for an advanced trombone ensemble. These pieces are each modeled after a specific punctuation mark. Movement one is set to represent the feeling of excitement, jubilation, and significance; evoking the exclamation point. It is bright, and fast, with fanfare elements that break through to a serene, but turbulent section that kick starts the dash to the end. The second movement is a slow, delicate, and unsettling passage, much like a question mark, with ambiguous rhythmic and tonal centers that disintegrate as fast as they coalesce. Lastly, the third and final movement is to represent the period. A punctual, loud, and harmonically exploratory ballad that takes us to the end of the piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydkIsUVHfWY

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

•  Hi. This is an exciting piece! I like it. I can hear the progress from the first movement with its zeal and passion and then it transforms to the calm 2nd movement. Honestly, I can't really distinguish the 2nd and the 3rd. At first, I thought it's only one movement, until I read your description and see the score. I would probably make the 3rd rather like the lively spirit 1st, but I guess you have your own reason. Question: In addition to your notes at the beginning, why did you assign 5 trombones and 2 bass trombones for this piece? Is there any specific goal? Can it be assigned to 3 tr and 1 b tr, instead?

This reply was deleted.