Slow, Slow, Fresh Fount for soprano and flute choir

10805405265?profile=RESIZE_710x

Audio file with score display at MuseScore Slow, Slow, Fresh Fount for soprano and flute choir

Comments welcome.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Image: detail from John William Waterhouse - Echo and Narcissus

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Jon,

I liked the tune... Serene...

I enjoyed the 'drop drop drop' section.  Placed skilfully.

Maybe you could have used similar techniques for the rest of the piece also.

4 voice all the way through is quiet the same thing...  Maybe just two voice or even one

as variations... And keep it changing maybe...

Thanks for sharing.

Al

• Jon, as you seem to post almost entirely little works for voices, you really should invest in a choir which can sing them like one of the EWQL ones. or at the very least something which provides better quality than these very basic vowels. It's pretty hard to enjoy what at times can be quite charming music at this level of reproduction.

• Thanks for the comments, which I'll keep in mind.

I understand the argument for using a better DAW, and I don't want to seem to be ungraciously rejecting criticism -- I make a point of welcoming it, even adverse criticism.  But I'm just not convinced by the argument for a better DAW in my case, because:

• I've found that there are members of this and other forums who have been willing and able to make useful comments on my audio files, including those of songs using choral ahs.
    • I always warn in my posts that I'm posting a software generated file, and if it includes vocals, that the vocals are choral ahs, so anyone who doesn't like that can just pass over that post. (Incidentally, over the past year only about one third of my postings of my compositions here have been of compositions including vocals, though they have been more frequent of late.)
    • I suspect that any performer who would judge whether my work is worth performing on the basis of how fancy I've made the audio file is not someone I could form a successful artistic relationship with anyway.
    • In fact, all of the small but respectable number of performances my compositions have achieved have been as a result of submitting audio files like I currently make, including choral ahs, to calls for scores.  So it seems to work.
    • A more sophisticated DAW might give me the opportunity, or even impose the necessity, of effectively conveying my personal interpretation of the composition, which I don't want to do, because potential performers might take that seriously.  I don't want to tell a performer how to perform my composition, I want the performer to decide that.
    • If I ever get an online recording by actual humanoid entities of a composition which I've posted to a forum as a software generated audio file, I revise that post to link instead to the real performance, on which comments can still be made.
    • I can't resist the temptation to be a dinosaur out of step with almost everyone else in the modern world.
    • I personally hate virtual vocalists, except when they're used in novelty numbers for space alien voices ("It was a One-Eyed, One-Horned, Flying Purple People Eater...")

I emphasize again that I hope forum members won't consider the above an expression of general unwillingness to accept criticism, it's just that on this particular point, I simply and fundamentally differ from what seems to be the universal currently received wisdom.

• perfectly valid arguments in my book! I won't raise this matter again.

This reply was deleted.