Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Here's me playing and improvising Silent Night on flugelhorn during a Christmas Eve service. Thanks for listening. 

https://youtu.be/cod8YXhv88o

Views: 391

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My pleasure.

Rodney Carlyle Money said:

And thank you for stopping by and listening!

Jim Tribble said:

Thank you for sharing.  Very nice.

Nice playing– I like upward movement at the end where you repeat the upward figure instead of going down to the tonic like the unaltered version would.  

It is all good! :)

Julie Harris said:

Ah, sounds like a much more enjoyable New Year's Eve.  I keep hoping someone will convince me of the beauty of the highland bagpipes, but so far no one has.  Enough said!

Rodney, sorry for going off in a different direction from your Silent Night treat.

Hi Dave these sound like Irish uilleann pipes.  Which can over blow and are one of the hardest and flexible pipes.  World wide there are around 40 different sorts.  One of my favourites is one of the Italian bagpipes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAipLb11SCA

I am a bit of an instrument nut.  Sorry.

:)

Dave Dexter said:

If I may:

From one of my favourite scores, Braveheart. Maybe Ray can tell me if these are actual bagpipes, since I thought they worked differently and couldn't produce this kind of articulation.

Great story re the wedding, I would probably have handed back the money, tipped my hat and moved house. Nice solve though.

Julie Harris said:

I keep hoping someone will convince me of the beauty of the highland bagpipes, but so far no one has. 

Cheers Dave.  Davie Spillane is one of the good ones. 

Dave Dexter said:

Aha. The name is familiar and the first hit on YT brings up this, which is exactly what I was looking for:

Don't apologise for being an instrument nut! There are few finer things to be.

Jim Tribble said:

Hi Dave these sound like Irish uilleann pipes.  Which can over blow and are one of the hardest and flexible pipes.  World wide there are around 40 different sorts.  One of my favourites is one of the Italian bagpipes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAipLb11SCA

I am a bit of an instrument nut.  Sorry.

:)

Appreciate it Lara! It was just one of those things I heard in my head and decided to add it.

Lara Poe said:

Nice playing– I like upward movement at the end where you repeat the upward figure instead of going down to the tonic like the unaltered version would.  

Sorry Dave, I forgot to answer your question concerning flugelhorn. A flugelhorn is completely conical bore like a horn, euphonium, or tuba, but in the key of Bb. It's almost like if you took a tuba and shrunk it down to the size of a trumpet. Normally my sound is a lot darker but that building is a very bright room for some odd reason. If I go into the choir room or just in the hallway my sound goes completely and immediately darker. 

Dave Dexter said:

I'd pay good money to watch a choir react to the notation "randomise velocity between 90 and 127 and smooth your attack curve"

I wonder if that organic characteristic of organs persisted because they're most often - I'd guess - paired with voice, which is easily tuned and so no changes were needed to the design. Or if you have the biggest single instrument in the world, and the one of the most mechanically complicated, these things just happen.

So is a flugelhorn like a trumpet crossed with a horn? Is that the best layman's description?

Writing for organ is another ambition (I've got a long list tbh) but I've never just found a local church and enquired of their organist. Seems the obvious first step.

Rodney Carlyle Money said:

Yes, the slight dissonance was definitely the natural rubato of the singers. We should try quantizing them next time, lol, just kidding. If you or anyone else here ever gets the pleasure of playing with a pipe organ you definitely have to tune down to them, constantly listening and adjusting.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service