Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

This centers around the question of what you might use as building blocks for music and why you might discard something you worked on.This likely differs with the composer.

I began this several days ago with no real direction. Things I like about it- I like the combination of instruments, bouzouki, drums, violin, flute and an elvish voice singing in the background.

Things I dislike about it - It needs to break away from AM in a big way. Tempo might be a bit slow. I could see maybe taking the beginning A minor idea and moving into some new territory. I was shooting for a celtic sound and this ended up sounding almost like Asian music. I need to look at changing the mode. I think the high violin added to that. Not necessarily a bad thing . I really think I would be ok pitching it in the bin and starting over.

Would you do the same? 

Here's the file. ANGEL OF THE POND  it's a link to my Google drive and is a wave file so it might not be as apt to load on some browsers ( fingers crossed).

Views: 74

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, Sorry to say, Timothy, google wants me to sign in or create an account. I'm unable to accept it's T&C or perhaps better, it won't accept mine!

No  chance of bunging it on soundcloud or as an mp3 here?

My apologies I occasionally run into this on Google.

Here is a private SC link. ANGEL OF THE POND

Hi Timothy.

I felt that the instrumental textures worked very well together..  You have a compelling phrase in the violin which starts at the 34 second mark.  There are dramatic leaps in that motif. It's played twice there, but I would love to hear that shape

of the motif transposed in places, or even inverted as well, and even at half speed in the lower register, perhaps. Lots of possibilities there, it would seem.

Not at all for the bin!

There's a lot of material there for development. But hoping you'll excuse me saying so, the underlying harmony needs variation. (But then you know me, anything that holds a key for more than half a bar gets 'treatment')

The bouzouki gives it naturally a Greek flavour as does the mode. 

The violin is a longish melody. Have you thought about isolating it and drawing up new harmony beneath it? See where it takes you?

Thanks gregorio and Dane for comments on this. I like both of your ideas. Dane ( or either of you ) feel free to openly comment about any possibilities. 

To me it's like a plane that never quite becomes airborne. Maybe just barely wheels leaving the runway and coming back down again. For some reason that evening I seemed to be hung in A minor or small variations of it. I knew when I was doing it I wanted to go somewhere else but nothing was forthcoming at the time. I will often leave these on my HD to take up space or delete them. Sometimes this is because I'm simply tired of working with it. Lately I've had a lot of projects going that aren't music related which translates into only passing musical thoughts from me lately. 

I think I'm going to follow up on your suggestions and attempt to make this into a different animal. Not sure when that will happen though. Hopefully soon. At the very least I can use it as a springboard to something else. Not sure if you ever feel this way but I feel my creative side has taken a nose dive lately. 

I might have some time off so I'll look at this more. Might even make something else. Back in the day when I used to draw pictures all the time every last one went right in the trash. I am similar with music. A lot of what I've done was trashed or deleted. I think it was more the process that I found fulfilling . 

I still believe extracting the violin line and maybe moving it down an octave may yield some suggestions. I respect it'll be a problem because if you later wanted to add a few bars intro that may create a new problem. Also see if other chords in the mode could be used or even modulation to a different key whether you keep the same mode or not.

At around 1'09 it felt like the violin could go somewhere else than the high A. (An appoggiatura on the B: - G-B...A? Maybe the A could be harmonised with an F chord...) Anyway, just some thoughts....

I'm having a bad creative time too at the mo, frustrated that nothing goes right in my latest effort. Took to starting on a guitar pedal circuit for an acquaintance to get away from it!

Thanks Dane for these thoughts. I will certainly look at these suggestions. Much appreciated. 

You are the tinkerer too eh?  One of my latest efforts is a  cabinet. Couldn't find what I need for the application already made and most items were not made of real wood. I'm about 90% completed with it. Work like this sometimes helps me to think more clearly and get away from it for awhile. Good luck with the pedal! My last electrical related thing was last week when my post light quit working. It was basically a motion sensing light that also had what looked like a real candle on all the time when no motion was sensed. Two things in one with dawn to dusk operation. They stopped making them. No parts available. Couldn't find anything made now similar. Decided to gut the old light and re use the housing. Put in a new socket I had laying around with an E26 socket . Eliminated the artificial candle. Installed a dawn to dusk lamp base in the E26 and have been experimenting with different bulbs. Found a nice little round LED bulb that wasn't too bright. I looked around and found these inexpensive Fire bulbs. They look like a fire or torch. I ordered one. Not sure if I'll like it. I'm also slowly converting over my switches to smart wi fi switches. When I get time I'll add another one. I like to tinker at that sort of thing.

Hello Tim,

No, you shouldn’t throw this in the bin.
Listen to it in a year or so, it may become a source for new inspiration.

About the piece, I agree with Dane, it could do with some key changes.
Having said that, if you were aiming for a Chinese or Japanese atmosphere you done really well. Chinese and Japanese music requires patience, it can take like 20 minutes to finally hear a key change.

I think the tempo is fine but maybe a lower register instrument could balance the high pitch instruments. And the drums could be slightly more pronounced.

I think it’s an interesting piece that could describe the tranquil existence of Tibetan mountain village. Thanks for posting…

I chop things out all the time.  I never throw anything away - save it in a separate file - even if it's really bad.  I even have a whole folder full of three or four bar snippets that didn't work somewhere or another.  lol.  

Sometimes when I'm feeling like I don't know where to go next, I'll open them up and find something that starts me up again (and I always wonder, how did I not work with this before?).  

I really like the Asian sound.  Sometimes accidents are moments of genius in disguise. :)

Thank you Joost for your recommendations! I will be looking seriously at these nice tips. I wasn't really aiming for an Asian sound but that seems to be what happened :)

Joost Visser said:

Hello Tim,

No, you shouldn’t throw this in the bin.
Listen to it in a year or so, it may become a source for new inspiration.

About the piece, I agree with Dane, it could do with some key changes.
Having said that, if you were aiming for a Chinese or Japanese atmosphere you done really well. Chinese and Japanese music requires patience, it can take like 20 minutes to finally hear a key change.

I think the tempo is fine but maybe a lower register instrument could balance the high pitch instruments. And the drums could be slightly more pronounced.

I think it’s an interesting piece that could describe the tranquil existence of Tibetan mountain village. Thanks for posting…

Thank you Douglas. I need to maybe be thinking this way more often. We now have the capability to rearrange and add at will yet I seldom do it. I have nothing against Asian music. Maybe I can develop it more along those lines. Thanks!

Douglas Locke said:

I chop things out all the time.  I never throw anything away - save it in a separate file - even if it's really bad.  I even have a whole folder full of three or four bar snippets that didn't work somewhere or another.  lol.  

Sometimes when I'm feeling like I don't know where to go next, I'll open them up and find something that starts me up again (and I always wonder, how did I not work with this before?).  

I really like the Asian sound.  Sometimes accidents are moments of genius in disguise. :)

Tim I agree with others that there is nothing to gain form throwing stuff away unless space becomes an issue. The problem for me at least is that it is difficult to keep track of all the bits and pieces. It's one thing to find some scrap of paper and think, "Oh no, that's ridiculous, I'll never use that!". But just as likely it's: "I have that already somewhere, but now I have to redo it."

So anyway the piece you have posted has some attractive sounds which could certainly be useful in some situations. It is also "static" so it doesn't have as much appeal to your fellow composers in stand alone form.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service