Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hi,

I tried to create short descriptions for composers, that will characterize their sound: http://alch.strangled.net/cquiz/work/cdesc.php

This is an addition to CQuiz project (composer quiz).

I would be glad to know what is wrong in the table.

Views: 346

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How would you describe Gershwin?

Gav Brown said:

Joplin, Copland, Williams seem to me to be well done! Gershwin - surely as the jazz composer who wrote the first serious and highly regarded classical music in that idiom he deserves more than one word

Alexey - jazz composer who wrote the first serious and highly regarded classical music in that idiom

I think, this makes sense! I will change description to yours. Thanks.

Gav Brown said:

Alexey - jazz composer who wrote the first serious and highly regarded classical music in that idiom

Published at last

I liked the inclusion of so many Russian artists and film composers in the list, who deserve recognition.

I noticed in the description of Bernard Herman’s music, there was no mention of what I think is his most compelling score, that is, the film music for “Jason and the Argonauts.” Herman did not just write for thrillers and horror movies. This score for the film based on the epic tale, the Argonautica, makes extensive and original use of percussion, the bass clarinet and woodwinds in lower registers, evoking Eastern and Greek harmonies, in ways that suit the epic nature of the story (probably the greatest film to evoke and depict the Hellenic mythological world that Hollywood ever produced). Even given the high quality of the film, the music is so superlative as to almost overshadow the dramatic action, which includes journeys to Olympus, depictions of the generation of heroes just preceding the Trojan war (Heracles, Telamon, the Disascouri), the launch of the first great ship in human mythological history (the “Argo”), fights with the Harpies, the perilous “clash of the rocks” at the end of the Bosphorus, divine interventions by Triton of the Sea, Hera, Hermes and other deities, the Giant Talos, a talking oracular masthead, the Seven headed Hydra, the magic and love of the semi-divine Medea, and other wonders. For those who love the sound of all kinds of clarinets, and deep contrabassoons, this is an unprecedented score. For those who love the primordial brass pagan fanfare, this is a score the likes of which we may never hear again in film.

You can hear the entire score here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHWJ0gY6XLE

[I hope I convinced you to at least mention it].

: )

Thanks Ondib, interesting description. Can you post a short sentence to add to the short description of Herman?

I would insert one sentence after this point:

The original says, “Orchestration also tended to be unusual but again tailored perfectly to the particular need. Psycho used strings only, which seemed to match the black and white photography.”

I would add this one sentence after that:

“In Jason and the Argonauts, he makes extensive use of the bass clarinet and woodwinds in lower registers and primordial brass fanfares, evoking the Hellenic harmonies of antiquity.”

Then you go on to mention Rosza.

Or if you want it shorter, you can just say,

“In Jason and the Argonauts, he makes use of woodwinds in lower registers and primordial brass fanfares, to evoke the Hellenic mythical antiquity.”

Cool, i'll add this!

Ondib Olmnilnlolm said:

I would insert one sentence after this point:

The original says, “Orchestration also tended to be unusual but again tailored perfectly to the particular need. Psycho used strings only, which seemed to match the black and white photography.”

I would add this one sentence after that:

“In Jason and the Argonauts, he makes extensive use of the bass clarinet and woodwinds in lower registers and primordial brass fanfares, evoking the Hellenic harmonies of antiquity.”

Then you go on to mention Rosza.

Or if you want it shorter, you can just say,

“In Jason and the Argonauts, he makes use of woodwinds in lower registers and primordial brass fanfares, to evoke the Hellenic mythical antiquity.”

Sorry I made a mistake in the second version.

It has to be

“In Jason and the Argonauts, he makes use of woodwinds in lower registers and primordial brass fanfares, to evoke Hellenic mythical antiquity.”

And NOT:

“In Jason and the Argonauts, he makes use of woodwinds in lower registers and primordial brass fanfares to evoke the Hellenic mythical antiquity.”

There can be no "the" before Hellenic antiquity in that sentence.

It's probably best to shorten it further by one word, and say,

“In Jason and the Argonauts, he makes use of woodwinds in lower registers and primordial brass fanfares to evoke Hellenic antiquity.”

[I can't say why the phrase "evoking the Hellenic harmonies of antiquity” MUST have the definite article "the" --- and why the phrase, "fanfares to evoke Hellenic antiquity" MUST NOT have the definite article "the." It goes to show what some of my Slavic [Russian and Ukrainian] friends tell me: the rules for the use of the articles "the" and "a" and "an" in English are not quite logical.]

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service