Romantic Music Contest - WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Members were asked to submit a composition in the Romantic style. 5 members participated. Please listen to all and use the survey to vote on the 3 you think best. Voting ends on January 4 at midnight EST. Thanks to all who participated in the contest!

VOTE HERE

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Greetings,

Congrats to the winner! Nice piece with, like Ondib said, has an inventive coda that takes some interesting harmonic turns.

God's Peace,

Jason+

• Congratulations to all five composers who were able to finish a piece by the deadline! You're all winners in my book. My top three were the same as the winners, but in a slightly different order.

I decided to listen to the entries with an ear toward the "spirit" of the Romantic style. Instead of having a list of some academic criteria from the Romantic era, I wanted to go on some kind of emotional journey with each piece, and hoped I would hear one with a contemporary feel. "Kenoo" sounded both Romantic and Contemporary to me, and that was my #3 pick.

"Funeral of the Gods" sounded the most traditionally Romantic to my ears. I thought it was wonderfully orchestrated (although the melody sounded a bit too much like an old German hymn, for my taste!). That got my #2 pick.

The highs and lows of intense emotion in the string quartet of "Movement in Style of the Romantic Period", and the journey it took me on was the most Romantic of all, and even though it didn't match my particular musical taste, I thought it was the clear winner of this contest. This one also sounded timeless to me, like it could have been written during the Romantic era, or today.

"Romance Scene" had some real interesting textures to it that I enjoyed. I didn't get a sense of shape, or much change in dynamics which help evoke a sense of movement and emotion for me. “The Scattered Tribes of Pelasgus“ had good movement and shape, and a lot of interesting ideas, perhaps enough to make it a little cluttered.

Kudos to all the entrants!

• oh, thank you father. Forgive me, I didn't know. Nice to meet you. 

Father Jason Emerson said:

I did write Kenoo, and it is original material. I put Issac Liam on the score as a pseudonym. It is my son's name and I often use it as pseudonym for contests that require it. Sorry for any confusion.

God's Peace,
    Jason+
    Members were asked to submit a composition in the Romantic style. 5 members participated. Please listen to all and use the survey to vote on the 3 yo…

• Janet S. said,

"Congratulations to all five composers who were able to finish a piece by the deadline! You're all winners in my book. "

That's a very friendly and generous thing to say.

Thank you.

O.O.

Also, thanks fo Gav Brown for organizing the contest.

• Thanks to all the composers who participated! Janet is right, you're all winners in my book too!

• I have a question, regarding the piece called, "Kenoo." This is not so much a question for the composer, as it is for the forum as a whole.

Can someone compare the style of Kenoo with that of other works by Romantic composers, or composers writing in the Romantic or Post-Romantic style? Whose pieces and what works does the composition most seem to resemble, why, and in what way?

[I am interested in the composer's own opinion, but I would like to hear what others say first, before I hear his view].

That's a question worth asking for any of the pieces, I think.

• Onidib raises a great question. I will wait for some else to reply, then I will be glad to relay what I was thinking while I was writing it.

God's Peace,
    Jason+
  • I didn't base my opinions on comparing the entries to specific pieces from the past, so I can't answer your question.

I can say I based my opinions on my understanding of the spirit of Romanticism. Kenoo , IMO, reflects the style of Romanticism by being a moody, individualistic piece. "From grief to emptyness" are extreme emotions suffered alone. It doesn't get more moody or individualistic than that! These emotions were conveyed through the music, though I would have preferred had gone to more extremes. There is form and structure to the piece; although simple, it doesn't rigidly adhere to Classical Period structure, which is also stylistically characteristic of Romantic music.

There are certainly more characteristics that help to define the Romantic Music Style, but the ones I described were the ones I found in Kenoo.

Ondib Olmnilnlolm said:

Can someone compare the style of Kenoo with that of other works by Romantic composers, or composers writing in the Romantic or Post-Romantic style? Whose pieces and what works does the composition most seem to resemble, why, and in what way?

Members were asked to submit a composition in the Romantic style. 5 members participated. Please listen to all and use the survey to vote on the 3 yo…
  • For all who voted: please chime in why you voted the way you did. These composers have presented themselves before you and deserve your commentary!

• I'm also interested in hearing from the composers about their processes and why they made the choices the did.

This reply was deleted.