"Resurrection" for marching band which includes the instrumentation of woodwinds, brass, and percussion. This music comes from my part of the ballet "Fôret Enchantée." This instrumentation was inspired not by the works of Sousa but of the repertoire of Drum Corps International (DCI) where typically the percussion "book" is written by another composer/ arranger rather than the person working on the brass parts. Because of the 9 percussion parts, I personally recommend listening/ following the brass and woodwind parts the first time, and then hit repeat listening/ following the percussion parts, and finally all together to see how they fit together. Thank you once again for both listening and commenting and happy composing, my friends!  

~Rod 

Sound: https://app.box.com/s/5lpmb5fa8xvapr84fdq46w18zl4x2vbk

Score: https://app.box.com/s/gcvw2tmwbhsbr0252scsdtzy6h6q21dm

Sound Could: https://soundcloud.com/rodney-money-1/resurrection-for-marching-band 

UPDATE: July 16, 2015 for anyone interested, here is the piece just for brass and woodwinds without the percussion (tacet) https://app.box.com/s/1q3jnk9egwxcyqdhukhlyrkiec9vg2td

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I know, right? Hehe. Wind ensembles do tend to make pieces sound patriotic, especially when harmonized like diatonic hymns.

Fredrick zinos said:

I wonder if the title should not be "Marching Band of Brothers?"

Resurrection for Marching Band (Woodwinds, Brass, and Percussion)
    Resurrection for marching band which includes the instrumentation of woodwinds, brass, and percussion. This music comes from my part of th
  • Thank you, and now three other schools also!

H. S. Teoh said:

Congratz!!!

Resurrection for marching band which includes the instrumentation of woodwinds, brass, and percussion. This music comes from my part of the ballet…
  • Thank you for taking the time to both listen and comment, Ray. I value your opinion as high as anyone's. This week was humbling though to the point where I did not even want to hear this piece again after one of my friends sent me a quick demo of an orchestra piece he was working on. When I heard his demo, the funny thing was, I was pissed off at all that money I spent for Cinesamples, but then he told me his secret was using East West's Spaces to place the samples in an environment and not just the studio that they were recorded in. Also he had better woodwinds than me, Berlin, and he doubled his Cinebrass with Sample Modeling which is truly awesome if one knows how to use dry samples. And lastly where I didn't use strings in this piece since it was a marching band piece, he mixed Berlin and Lass which is a butt load of money, lol. So I learned a lot this week. I'm learning how to use samples, but I still have a major way to go. I played in all the parts live but I needed to put those instruments in an environment. Well, looks like I might buy me some more brass and woodwinds soon so I can double up the brass and replace CineWinds with Berlin.
    And yep, the theme is very simple. I think it took me all of 5 minutes to write the melody. It's much harder for me to make it sound good in a DAW.

The Lonely Goat said:

You surely are a great composer as this theme is simple to a fault.

Well done Rod, you're obviously a big cheese here :)

Goat

Resurrection for marching band which includes the instrumentation of woodwinds, brass, and percussion. This music comes from my part of th
  • For anyone insterested, here is the piece just with the brass and woodwinds without the percussion. https://app.box.com/s/1q3jnk9egwxcyqdhukhlyrkiec9vg2td
    Box
  • Yes! Now that's how music should be listen to! Full volume, and in your face. I always wonder how people listen. I am already thinking about redoing it because I got some new "toys" coming in. I am going to replace the woodwinds with Berlin, the trombones with Spitfire, and put everything in East West's Spaces reverb plug-in. We shall see! I am happy to hear you got the shivers! That was my goal and I take that as a huge compliment, my friend.

Rod 

Jakub Siembab said:

I listened to it with my speakers playing at full volume and I really felt shiver down my spine!
    Hats off to you!

Resurrection for marching band which includes the instrumentation of woodwinds, brass, and percussion. This music comes from my part of the ballet…

• Aww yes, behold the power of the iv7, lol. Great little trick for magic and maybe even a touch of romance (plus William's used in in his Leah Theme, and it's featured in the movie "Love Actually.") Thank you for the compliments! I'm trying to learn those darn samples.
    Tim Lawler said:

Quite a magical moment for me on the downbeat of measure 17 with that beautiful horn passage and the orchestration behind it.  I like the way that same horn line was used to move into so much intensity from m.9-10, then down to a gentle close at m.17.  Good to hear a live band will be playing this though your handling of the sample-based sonorities was pretty convincing. 

• Rodney,

I visited your Soundcloud page, and loved the compositions you have in there.  In particular, the parts with fiddle that bring up a Celtic flavor (this style appears in two of your pieces), are very very lyrical and beautiful.  I personally hope you will have a chance to work on lyrical pieces in the future.  I think you are very talented.

Mariza

• I agree about the vi7 but it wasn't just the harmony at m.17 that caught me.  It was also (more-so) the way the horn was set in the mix and the sudden, and perfectly balanced, dynamic shift behind it. 

Rodney Carlyle Money said:

Aww yes, behold the power of the iv7, lol. Great little trick for magic and maybe even a touch of romance (plus William's used in in his Leah Theme, and it's featured in the movie "Love Actually.")

• Fumble typing...  iv7, not vi7

• Mariza Costa-Cabral said:

Rodney,

I visited your Soundcloud page, and loved the compositions you have in there.  In particular, the parts with fiddle that bring up a Celtic flavor (this style appears in two of your pieces), are very very lyrical and beautiful.  I personally hope you will have a chance to work on lyrical pieces in the future.  I think you are very talented.

Mariza

Oh, thank you so much for the compliments and listening to some of my other pieces. When you mean lyrical, do you mean for voices with words?
This reply was deleted.