Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Òran nan Selkie: An Cruinneachadh (Song of the Selkies: The Gathering)

Hi All

This composition is a mix of traditional orchestral instruments and synthesiser. It's the first complete section of a longer work which will include some gaelic songs.

It's written in D major and is meant to invoke a gathering of these mythical selkie creatures (human on land but seal-like in the sea). The tempo is a lazy 150bpm and the dynamic range is fairly narrow - I've shyed away from puting any dynamic markings in the score.

The instrumentation is as follows:

Synth patches from Steinberg's padshop pro (Granular Symphonies) as follows:

• Pad (synth chords in the score)
  • Layered violin & viola (synth violin in the score)
  • Big Waves & Gulls (marked same in the score)
  • Deep Animal Voices (marked same in score)

Orcherstral instruments:

• French Horn Solo & Section (Sam horns from GPO 5)
  • Solo Violin (from GPO 5)
  • Double Bass section (from GPO 5)

Choir (Olymous Choir vst):

• Soprano and Contralto voices
  • Voice effect (The Selkie in the score)

I've had a go at 'producing' it properly - I exported the audio from Dorico and imported it into Cubase pro where I added compression, reverb and EQ to the individual tracks and a limiter to the final mixed down track. I would appreciate comments on how the production sounds.

I've had a go at embedding the audiomack player but if it hasn't worked here's the link:

Òran nan Selkie

Enjoy, Colin

Views: 57

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

here's the score

Very nice! The track has an especially deep spacial feel which I'm guessing is what you intended.More like a drean and not an actual place.The choir sounds good, however I notice it mostly in my left speaker. Not sure if panning was intentional there? 

For me the sea gulls and seals don't sound relaxed, but then, I realize that it's probably tough to make a seal or a gull sound relaxed :) Maybe they are just a little too loud?

You have quite an imagination in combining these things the way you did. The orchestral and synth instruments are a smooth well fitting combination.

Where?

Colin Dougall said:

here's the score

Nice sound effects. I wonder if this is performable given how much it relies on digital content.

Hi

I'm having trouble uploading the score - I've tried both chrome and firefox but both et blocked. It's a simple pdf at only 204kb so there shouldn't be any problems. 

Thanks, Colin.
Victor Eijkhout said:

Where?

Colin Dougall said:

here's the score

Hi

it would be pretty straightforward but you would need padshop pro and probably three keyboard players unless you were to loop the digital content.

Colin

Victor Eijkhout said:

Nice sound effects. I wonder if this is performable given how much it relies on digital content.

Hi Timothy

I'll check the panning and levels - I'll maybe automate the panning. 

It is indeed meant to sound dreamy and evoke deep, calm oceanic spaces - until the storm comes!

Thanks, Colin

Timothy Smith said:

Very nice! The track has an especially deep spacial feel which I'm guessing is what you intended.More like a drean and not an actual place.The choir sounds good, however I notice it mostly in my left speaker. Not sure if panning was intentional there? 

For me the sea gulls and seals don't sound relaxed, but then, I realize that it's probably tough to make a seal or a gull sound relaxed :) Maybe they are just a little too loud?

You have quite an imagination in combining these things the way you did. The orchestral and synth instruments are a smooth well fitting combination.

This is excellent in my view: seamless, aquatic, well mixed, melodious, soporific, nice harmonies, rhythmical. I quite like 'programme' music and this tells a story in a Gaelic style (which I always enjoy). I think it needs a climactic point somewhere but, as you say, this is part of a larger piece so my comment may be superfluous.

Overall very professionally done - it could form the basis of a Caledonian film score.

I look forward to hearing the complete thing. Thanks for posting.

Hi Stephen

Thanks for your uplifting comments. I take your point about the climatic point - this is pencilled in for the next section which will bne a bit more up-tempo.

Colin

Stephen Lines said:

This is excellent in my view: seamless, aquatic, well mixed, melodious, soporific, nice harmonies, rhythmical. I quite like 'programme' music and this tells a story in a Gaelic style (which I always enjoy). I think it needs a climactic point somewhere but, as you say, this is part of a larger piece so my comment may be superfluous.

Overall very professionally done - it could form the basis of a Caledonian film score.

I look forward to hearing the complete thing. Thanks for posting.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2019   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service