Dear fellow composers,

My name is Mark and I recently joined composersforum. Next to composing music I study Music Management at the High school of Arts in Utrecht. As a result of this study, I am now doing my internship at All Music Publishing.

All Music Publishing is one of the largest online library music publishers in Europe and their library music is being used daily in TV programmes, commercials and AV productions. . They are always on the look out for new, talented composers for their own label. If you think your music will be of interest to them, and you're looking for library music representation send me a message.

Being a composer myself and working for a music publisher got me wondering; “What do other composers expect of their publisher and what do they think is a fair proposition?”

Please tell me your experiences and view on this issue.

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• had some bad experience with publishers,never made money out of it and i was almost stolen at some point - one of my ideas "left" their office as somebody else's idea - felt i was just feeling their roster most of the times,of course there must be pros around too that they really want to work with you as a team...
  • How do you mean, your idea left their office as somebody else's idea? They used your composition as a composition of somebody else on licenced it under his or her name?

Panos Chatzigeorgiadis said:
    had some bad experience with publishers,never made money out of it and i was almost stolen at some point - one of my ideas "left" their office as somebody else's idea - felt i was just feeling their roster most of the times,of course there must be pros around too that they really want to work with you as a team...
  • the publisher along with a person i was about to co-write the song - did the music and his parts had to do with the words and getting somebody to sing over the track - used my music and introduced it as his own to the artist that asked this,a world famous dj who i cant mention for obvious reasons,what i did to stop this was to get in touch with the main artist and pass him over the instrumental track stating that it was mine and copyrighted already,after that i was out of the project of course,think there are similar stories around that can happen when you deal with non proffesionals in the industry.
  • I've submitted my music to various places over the last year, and have never received a response. It would be great if I at least got some feedback so I'd know what adjustments to make to my style.

I have a deep passion for composing music, so that's where I spend most of my energy when I have free time. All the other stuff, like self-promotion, and connecting with the music business at large is daunting and unappealing to me. To compensate, I try to improve my craft with each composition, thinking that the business will eventually have to take notice (although, insided, I realize that's not how it works).

Perhaps you'd be so kind to check out some of my music on my profile and provide feedback on whether it's appropriate for library music publishers.

Mike

This reply was deleted.