Hi Composers’ Forum members, as you know, the 4 elements are earth, air, fire, and water. For this proposed contest, you will write a piece of music of no more than 2 minutes duration based on one of these elements. Any instrumentation, any style of music. If the contest is a go, I will give 3 months for interested composers to submit their entries to me, which I will then put up anonymously. Voting will be by the membership of this site. You can submit entries for more than one element. An MP3 or link to a soundcloud/youtube/etc will be necessary. A PDF of the score is highly desirable, but not required. In order for this contest to be a go, 10 composers need to express interest by Sunday, Jan. 21 at 5 pm EST. To express interest, reply to this thread or send me a message. Please indicate in your expression of interest what element or elements you think you might want to compose for (you can change this later). Please note that I do not need any music at this time, just an expression of interest. I have run these contests before, they are a lot of fun and a good way to get feedback about your music from your peers, hope you can join us!

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Daniel, that must have been a coincidence, because I did have a composer who was not you submit "Fire" to me anonymously. You're in! We now have 71 entrants, with 17 commits to Water, 10 commits to Earth, 14 commits to Fire, 10 commits to Air, and the rest general commits. The commits can be changed at any time.

• No problem Roger!

roger stancill said:

Gav, sounds like a good solid plan and format. Thanks for the clarification.

Contest: THE 4 ELEMENTS: DEADLINE TO SUBMIT ENTRIES HAS PASSED, CONTEST CLOSED, VOTING TO BEGIN SOO…
    Hi Composers’ Forum members, as you know, the 4 elements are earth, air, fire, and water. For this proposed contest, you will write a piece of music…
  • Nice!

I'm in. I think three months is a good timeframe.

• Count me in too - I'll do earth. Thanks :) 

• Hello all,

I am a bit of stranger here, but I am interested in this. I appreciate it's a contest, but mainly I am interested in just taking part.

I would like to thank whoever decided to email users about this, as it reminded me of this forum.

I also appreciate the 3-month time limit, as I am sorting out my bathroom and have guests and all sorts.

Many thanks. :)

EDIT:

I would like to do Water and Fire. I would like to attempt all of them, if I have time and it is allowed.

• I apply,  count on me. 

• I make the  stone part,  actually  I've made some similar piece called  woodpecker drum roll.  

Please google  for  soundclick  woodpecker drum roll, for which I have the score. I have created a new musical instrument which is Bamboo wood tubes played with castanets.  But the score indicates it can be played with stones  rocks or marble. 

I'm already working on the case as I am exercising all PAS 40 drum rudiments.  With Castanets, Earth is more like some sand, I have in mind  early music suitable for performing in cave like environments, sand and rock is not the same, but rock may be a subset of earth in the sense of geology. I think I've seen in museums stone plates and mallets played like a xylofone. 

• I wanna take part on this contest and congratulate the person who had the idea as well. It's a good way to put some of us to actually work on something with a deadline and all. I enjoy it, anyway.
    I'm pretty much interested in all four elements right now but I think fire is something I'd really like to try.

Please keep sending emails, I haven't really been spending a lot of time online lately.
  • Thanks Johannes, Rachel, Zak, 藻留天 具留部覧度船, and Arthur! We now have 76 entrants, with 18 commits to Water, 11 commits to Earth, 16 commits to Fire, 10 commits to Air, and the rest general commits. The commits can be changed at any time.

• MESSAGE TO ALL ENTRANTS - Some of you are sending me questions about how to submit your work. Please do not post anything anywhere yet. I will post on this thread once the contest deadline to express interest has passed how you can get your work to me -

Thanks,

Gav

This reply was deleted.