Hi Composers’ Forum members, as you know, the 4 elements are earth, air, fire, and water. For this proposed contest, you will write a piece of music of no more than 2 minutes duration based on one of these elements. Any instrumentation, any style of music. If the contest is a go, I will give 3 months for interested composers to submit their entries to me, which I will then put up anonymously. Voting will be by the membership of this site. You can submit entries for more than one element. An MP3 or link to a soundcloud/youtube/etc will be necessary. A PDF of the score is highly desirable, but not required. In order for this contest to be a go, 10 composers need to express interest by Sunday, Jan. 21 at 5 pm EST. To express interest, reply to this thread or send me a message. Please indicate in your expression of interest what element or elements you think you might want to compose for (you can change this later). Please note that I do not need any music at this time, just an expression of interest. I have run these contests before, they are a lot of fun and a good way to get feedback about your music from your peers, hope you can join us!

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks Canary! We now have 56 entrants, with 15 commits to Water, 8 commits to Earth, 10 commits to Fire, 6 commits to Air, and the rest general commits. The commits can be changed at any time.

p.s. I am familiar with 60x60, put a piece in years ago. Was fun, though I didn't make the cut. Maybe you could share something about it in the Contests forum at some point -

• Hi  Emily, it's ok to submit a piece a bit over 2 minutes if it's already composed. Anyone composing a new work I ask to try to keep it under 2 minutes if possible. The reason is that over two minutes, soundfiles start to get bigger than the forum allows me to post (7 mb) and I have to upload the file to my YouTube page., which takes longer (I delete the Youtube after the contest is over). Also, I think 2 minutes is a good amount of time for a contest voter to listen to, not too long. Since you have already composed one work, go ahead and use that as your submission

• Roger S. joins us, thanks! We now have 57 entrants, with 15 commits to Water, 8 commits to Earth, 10 commits to Fire, 6 commits to Air, and the rest general commits. The commits can be changed at any time.

• BTW, how many "winners" will be announced? Top three for each element? Runners-up? Just asking.

• Hi William, there will indeed be a top three for each element, then the winners of each element will be gathered together and presented as a group in a pinned post atop the site. I use a point system, based on the voting, to assign who wins, and I'll publish that for each entry, plus any comments the entrants receive from voters on each piece

• I am definitely interested. Element of choice: Air. 

• Thanks Ilko! We now have 58 entrants, with 15 commits to Water, 8 commits to Earth, 10 commits to Fire, 7 commits to Air, and the rest general commits. The commits can be changed at any time.

• Woop! Sounds like fun, I'll do it :)

I'll prob give AIR a shot.

• Thanks Stu! We now have 59 entrants, with 15 commits to Water, 8 commits to Earth, 10 commits to Fire, 8 commits to Air, and the rest general commits. The commits can be changed at any time.

• I will enter with FIRE

This reply was deleted.