Good morning,

A moody piece not so far from tonality. (I may have posted it before – if so a long time ago. Apologies if so.)

Point is, I used its .xml to try to produce a score with notation software – hell on earth but I chose it as the original daw would force me to learn the notation stuff – like 1-4 instruments on the same track to split onto separate staves; let alone the foibles of note input.

There were messes like this that had to be dealt with (screenshot from Reaper). My student friend who visited on Sunday (allowable in the terms of our lockdown) asked if I was drawing a vineyard.

It hasn’t been a happy experience. I still cannot fathom how any of you composers out there can use it at the composing stage, at least not until you have a very polished draft. 

I’ve struggled for a week so I’m still slow but even if I got to thrice the speed it’s still hopelessly slow for sketching – at least 3-4 clicks to get a note on a stave? WHAT?

So, good luck to all those who try!!

Even so, please give it a listen if you have time. It would be sincerely appreciated.

All the best,

Dane

Pce str CA n Hns.mp3

01 - Full score - Str CA Hns160221 score.pdf

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Dane -

Lascia che sia il primo a congratularmi con te per un lavoro magistrale!!

Dark and moody and colorful at the same time, this is modern but accessible and
    enjoyable, well done! And a beautiful score and Italian lesson with easter eggs
    for the diligent, well worth the price of admission on its own.
    As far as notation software have you considered StaffPad?

https://www.staffpad.net/

Sorry for the font and formatting etc. the editor is acting up for me.

StaffPad® - Make beautiful music
    StaffPad is a music notation and composition app designed for handwriting music recognition, touch editing, amazing playback, automatic score layout…
  • Hi Dane.

Re: Notation software. I guess your cluttered cello staves are the result of divisi writing on the same staff. Deleting superfluous notes one by one is quite annoying. I use to have at least two staves to harbor four voice writing in strings. You can try to assign lines to different voices; this could help you to locate each notes to be erased if the software (MuseScore?) allows to show them in colors — must check if there's voice-voice matching in exported Reaper file.
    Otherwise, never had issues in staff correlation daw —> notation, or the other way round. Other kind of issues are possible, due to the philosophical nature of Xml encoding in different softwares (the one I'm demoing these days adds 128th ghost rests at the end of every bar… Awful).

As for note input, I suggest you to learn keyboard shortcuts for duration and pitch (the latter, a small midi keyboard is enough. Mine is a Korg 37 microKey also serving as a usb hub for ViennaKey). This will save you lots of mouse clicking and arm pain. In my previous life I was able to take an entire newspaper to print almost without touching the mouse. The keyboard(s) is(are) your weapon.

The piece is really inspiring. I shall listen to it more today to enjoy it thoroughly.

PS. May I write in Italian, then? It should a lot more easier for me!

Best

Fabio

• HI, Fabio,

Many thanks for your many comments, suggestions and above all for listening.

Please don't write in Italian! (smiling). My Italian is very weak, a little I learned at college, most of what's in the score picked up from score study but if I've got it wrong please feel free to correct me. It's more of a habit though from the days of writing scores by hand. Perhaps I should use more English as Italian verb conjugation and definite/indefinite article declensions baffle me!

As for that Reaper thing - it's me - and I'm guessing that I somehow accidentally pressed a "copy" button so the notes got overlaid like that. It was a good exercise in converting to notation because it had to be sorted out. Note input was needed but it was more about shifting note positions (the 'copy and move to another stave' was really good) but with Reaper grid mistakes, moving a bar of notes 1/32 note to the right or left was a pain. It should be easy but isn't!

I would have discontinued my trial but the engraving is so neat I'll keep going with it for another couple of weeks at least.

Again, thank you for your generous comments about the piece - pleasing that it made sense.

But please write in English - let's just say your English is HUGELY better than my Italian!

All the best,

Dane.

• Hi Ingo,

Sincere thanks for listening and your kind comments. Looks like it might be better writing score instructions in English!! I don't know about Easter eggs - I try to set a good egg-sample but my samples don't include eggs.... :D

Staffpad? Notation software? Let's face it, Ingo, I'm the forum Luddite (not that I think the Luddites were entirely wrong - an artisan society gave people a social purpose, a role, so lacking in today's world where we're all just serfs with fancy job titles).

I did look at Staffpad but it’s another huge expense. I’m on Windows, so the smallest Surface tablet will sting me for £500; another (would you believe) £100 for the pen, about £90 for the keyboard, plus £90 for staffpad. I’m ok with the software expense but I loathe giving so much to the profit greedy domestic hi-tech industry. I wouldn’t use it for wi-fi so a bit of a waste. Oh deary me! You have to laugh. A supplementary wireless keyboard for my laptop costs about a tenner!

It just galls me that I can't change a battery myself and the latest ipads don't have an earphone socket - more greed, more expense. And, truth tell, my ears aren't that good so I try to stack everything in their favour, so bluetooth is out for serious listening.

I carry a little notebook. Sometimes an idea strikes but I can't work out the exact notes so maybe I draw something. It works. It'll have to do for now. 

I'll soldier on with this notation stuff for a couple more weeks before deciding. Admitted, it does nice engraving. 

Anyway, I won't keep waffling on. I don't want to become insomnia treatment so I'll push the soapbox back under the sofa!

Again, many thanks,

Dane.

Ingo Lee said:

Dane -

Lascia che sia il primo a congratularmi con te per un lavoro magistrale!!

Dark and moody and colorful at the same time, this is modern but accessible and
    enjoyable, well done! And a beautiful score and Italian lesson with easter eggs
    for the diligent, well worth the price of admission on its own.
    As far as notation software have you considered StaffPad?

https://www.staffpad.net/

Sorry for the font and formatting etc. the editor is acting up for me.

Piece for Strings, Cor Anglais and Horns - with score!
    Good morning, A moody piece not so far from tonality. (I may have posted it before – if so a long time ago. Apologies if so.) Point is, I used its .x…
  • Hi Dane,

I enjoyed this piece very much. I can imagine this beautifully backing a Studio Gibli production. Some high-end orchestral vsts would make this a mini marvel for sure. It draws me in each time I play it. Great job!

All the best

• Hi, Tarun,

Many thanks indeed for listening and your generous comments.

Now you've mentioned your interest in videography, this piece was inspired by a film project that never got off the ground through lack of funding. Various ideas triggered the imagination and led to a couple of finished pieces. The story was captivating. This scene was in a desert-like region - evening, long shadows - sensitive videography would have told the story without words - a 24 year old male and 36 year old female becoming aware of a growing attachment and apprehension about admitting it. Hence the sometimes coy, suggestive harmonies!

Bests,

Dane.

• Hi Dane,

Yes, the coy harmonies are most pleasant! The visuals sound interesting. Wish it could have lifted off the ground! Please share more!

All the best

Dane Aubrun said:

Hi, Tarun,

Many thanks indeed for listening and your generous comments.

Now you've mentioned your interest in videography, this piece was inspired by a film project that never got off the ground through lack of funding. Various ideas triggered the imagination and led to a couple of finished pieces. The story was captivating. This scene was in a desert-like region - evening, long shadows - sensitive videography would have told the story without words - a 24 year old male and 36 year old female becoming aware of a growing attachment and apprehension about admitting it. Hence the sometimes coy, suggestive harmonies!

Bests,

Dane.

Piece for Strings, Cor Anglais and Horns - with score!
    Good morning, A moody piece not so far from tonality. (I may have posted it before – if so a long time ago. Apologies if so.) Point is, I used its .x…
This reply was deleted.