I began this composition with the idea of 'ostinato', which is a motif or phrase which is persistently repeated in the same musical voice. 

I'm persistently attracted to the use of ostinatos, so I found it easy to go in that direction. I tried to balance the cacophony of ostinatos with sections of chord changes- totally different textures. I wanted to contrast the more chaotic sections with sections that felt much more soothing and controlled. I usually adhere to classical concepts of beauty- the use of juxtaposing 'opposites': darkness vs light, calm vs agitated, good vs evil, soothing vs agitation, etc. 

I often begin a composition with a simple concept, like I might write a tune that changes its chord on every quarter note with very few repetitions. One idea I like is the concept that if a particular series of chord changes happens over the span of, say, 10 bars, then it can also work at a much faster rate, ie eighth notes. So a simple idea like that can give rise to a full-scale composition.

Feel free to share your criticisms and cover aspects regarding the technical recording and/or the flow of the composition.  I appreciate all feedback.

OstinatoTrip_1.mp3

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Doug - Nice composition. The ostinato certainly unifies the piece, and there were places where it stopped and there were smooth transitions to new material. Also, I really liked the sax sound. Was that you playing live?
  • Emily- thanks! The tune was co-written by Christopher Alpiar, who played the amazing sax part in his studio in Atlanta. Seth Burkhart added his excellent drums at Garden Rock Studio on Nantucket Isle, MA. I played bass, keys, and guitar. -doug
  • Doug: Great start!  It's got a nice basic feel to  it.  Elaborating on your comments about contrasts, I'd like to hear you include a spacier section based on some pitch centers somewhat more remote from the A modal ostinato section and using less moton. for example :

Amodal ......... || Bbmi9 /Eb .......Eb /F / F/ G ..........Bb /C / GbMA7 5b ........ || Amodal

just an idea ..

BTW: Sounds like Chris has been working on shedding his chops a bit since moving to Atlaanta ..sounds really good.

• Thanks Phil- I think you're right about getting away from the A. I'll keep that in mind for future works. I really like Chris's improvs. Most of what you hear in this piece, were what he called 'warming up'.  :)
  •  ...mmm ..a "woody" ?

still , I hope your hegira  across the pond was successful, refreshing, and also gave you a  woody .... :)

• Hey- welcome home and glad you like the recording. In the near future, I'll re-listen to the mix and make some adjustments. ..Is the sax really too prominent? I guess I need to hear it with fresh ears. I'm doing some photography today, and then on to a couple of newer tunes with Seth's drums from February.
This reply was deleted.