Another live performance, this time performed by a group of pros in Toronto.  This was my first experience working with professionals - it was delightful!

Here is the program note for the piece:

Inspired by Greg Egan's novel Diaspora, Orphanogenesis describes the birth of a very special child. This child comes into being not as a combination of two people's genetic material, but as a spontaneous construct with only the most basic common threads coming from many sources. She is "everyone's child". Her journey begins in a morass of personalities - a beautiful cacophony of contrasting characters. Within this cloud of chaos, the child first finds a window into her own identity in the form of a touching song of ancient origins. Emerging as a singularity, she soon finds comfort wrestling with the ancient melody and through it finally finds her own voice. As this piece is clearly a beginning, its ending is pensive and introspective rather than complete.

Regarding the 'morass of personalities' at the beginning - I wanted to inject some of each performer's personality into the piece.  Each player is directed to "play one of your favourite melodies", with variances per my instructions.  I must say, this idea frightened me while i was formulating the idea (i thought it may just sound like a mistake), but i am really happy with the final result.  As a bonus - the performers really seemed to enjoy the process.

As always, feedback is much appreciated.

joe

orphanogenesis.mp3

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It didn't sound like a mistake at all its sounded great. Whole piece worked really well for me, well done!
  • Amazing! My favorite piece in this forum so far.

I am sure this was a fun piece to play and that always makes a big difference in the result.

Very Cool!
  • The 'fun factor' definitely plays a part in performance.

I wonder if I was a little too timid with what I asked them to do - perhaps instead of everyone being loud, or quiet, or whatever TOGETHER, I think I could have had little sections (duets, trios, etc) pop up at times. For a quick second, some favourite tunes might be recognizable and then lost in chaos again. Maybe next time.

Ariel Ramos said:
    Amazing! My favorite piece in this forum so far.

I am sure this was a fun piece to play and that always makes a big difference in the result.

Very Cool!
    Orphanogenesis for String Orchestra
    Another live performance, this time performed by a group of pros in Toronto.  This was my first experience working with professionals - it was deligh…
  • Fantastic! If I understand well, it was like a jam session under some constraints imposed by you, more improvisation than playing . It's interesting what is writtem and what the conductor did. Sounds really great!
  • I added the score (in pdf format) to clarify things. Only the first couple of minutes are a jam session as you describe, the rest (except for a few parts) is fully composed.

Andrew Gleibman said:
    Fantastic! If I understand well, it was like a jam session under some constraints imposed by you, more improvisation than playing . It's interesting what is writtem and what the conductor did. Sounds really great!

orphanogenesis concert edition.pdf

Orphanogenesis for String Orchestra
    Another live performance, this time performed by a group of pros in Toronto.  This was my first experience working with professionals - it was deligh…
This reply was deleted.