Online Survey Testing Music Perception

Hi everyone! Aside from being a casual composer and long time lurker here, I am a PhD student at Yale University's Department of Computer Science and have been doing research in computer music. Within that field, it is unfortunately very common for musical models to be proposed but never formally tested – in fact, there is no consensus on what procedures or metrics to use in some cases. In an attempt to bridge that gap, I have been developing a participant study to test various hypotheses about algorithm performance and music perception. I am currently running a pilot study version of the experiment to test the robustness of the system (lag, audio playback problems, etc.) on various platforms and internet connections. If you would like to participate, the pilot study is here:

http://www.donyaquick.com/php/public_experiment.html

If you decide to participate, you will be asked to listen to short clips of music and guess whether the music clip was created by a human composer or computer algorithm. You will also be asked questions about your musical background (i.e. how many years of musical training you have had). In all, the study should take no more than 20 minutes to complete.

If there are any questions, I am happy to discuss the nature of my work in general terms here, although obviously I can't give away some details about this particular experiment until all data from the final study has been collected. Also, the examples are randomized, so there is no way to do a direct comparison of answers from one run to another.

If you experience any technical problems, please let me know the conditions under which they occurred, such as what browser/device you were using at the time. Some browsers (particularly older versions) do not support the parts of HTML5 that the study uses to deliver audio. The study has also not been tested on any mobile devices, so I have no idea whether it will display/perform correctly on tablets, phones, etc.

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• ill give it a go....

• I won't be going anywhere ;-) I've just got a few rather chaotic weeks ahead. I have been and will continue to spend a lot of time as a lurker reading and listening to posted pieces.

roger stancill said:

... sorry Donya, the soils not good here for planting.

tho' I hope you'll come back again after the war of           absurdity is over.  RS

• KPDQ, next time you go for a drive like that

I suggest you use something other than Zig-Zag - if ya catch my drift :-D (or E-Z Wider)

Donya, gud 4 U

Kristofer P.D.Q. Emerig said:

Ironically, Ohio is actually closer to Indiana than Indiana is itself. So, I order my stuff from Sweetwater just as you do, by mail.

Similarly, I once drove through South Dakota and was surprised to learn that it is actually slightly wider than the USA.

michael diemer said:

By the way, since we're totally giving up on this poor lady's thread, are you located close to Sweetwater, and have you ever been there? Man, I would love to visit that place, but without my wallet.

• OOOhhh man, thats like sooooo righteous    fer sure    Think I'll move to Colorado man

it must be heaven..... enh enh enh

This reply was deleted.