Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hello! Did you think about creating orchestra or chamber music in collaboration, sharing ideas and workflow? Every composer has his own workflow: let's join different workflows and approaches, learning from each other and creating a new type of collaborative composition.

Where? Online, from your smartphone, tablet or PC.

Why? Meet, discuss, share, learn, compose.

What style of music we are going to compose? Orchestral and chamber music of tonal and/or atonal quality - maybe only tonal - maybe only atonal - depending on what composers will get to the meeting.

How much knowledge of music composition is required? You have to be able to compose a whole piece. No other degree or experience is required. Emerging composers are welcome! Do not be afraid that you have too little or too much experience - try to participate! Music analysts and philosophers are also welcome, because we will also discuss general form and style questions - not just compose music.

What are we going to do?

- Discuss our different approaches, workflows, styles and ideas.

- Choose the goal for our collaboration music piece (write music in some particular style, write music for a painting, write music for a poem, write music for a composition contest...)

- Plan our composition process combining our different workflows. Create a scheme of our music piece.

- Compose!

When? 

- Every saturday at 16:00 GMT (this is 18:00 Berlin or 12:00 New york). First meeting will be on April, 9.

- I will post a link to join the meeting about 10 minutes before this time in this forum thread.

- Meeting will be recorded as video and will be available to view later.

What tools can we use?

- Google Hangouts On Air for video conference and screen sharing (link will be posted)

Google Drive for a whiteboard

Flat for collaborative work with scores

... more

What do you need to participate?

- Smartphone OR tablet OR computer. Best way is to use computer with webcamera and a USB microphone, that you can put close to you. The better your sound quality - the more interesting a collaboration will be.

- You need to have a Google account (you can register here).

- You do not necessarily need to use your webcamera. If you choose, you can use only voice communication

Official language of this meeting is English.

I will host the meeting. My english language is not mother-tongue, but I will try my best. Please, if someone with good english can co-host this meeting with me, it will be very helpful.

Let's discuss this idea. Frankly speaking, I am very excited to start! :) Please reply if you are in.

https://composersforum.ning.com/forum/topics/online-collaborative-m...

Views: 1618

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

(Yes, i haven' t read his books.. and certainly don't know much in that area.. but i did attend a few of his 'talks' - he had a poetic way of saying some ideas i'd never heard… that was quite some time ago..)

One thought occurred to me about the structuring - dividing of parts - in this endeavor, was, that if there was a dialogue say, between the wolf and the girl -  it would seem that a dialogue might have a back and forth - and may necessitate  building the phrases - sometimes, at somewhat close intervals, perhaps as things (may) get more dramatic.. And almost piecing it together - phrase by phrase…. writer by writer… Seems tricky to coordinate… perhaps you both have already worked that idea out… 

Cheers!

What are you saying, Gregorio? A dialogue might have a back and forth??? ;-)

I did think about it a bit, and I thought that the 2 composers would offer phrase by phrase, alternating between them, as in an actual dialog.

I would love to work on such a project.

However, we decided to start off with a different idea, not a dialog. We are assigning different instruments to different component parts of the painting (Gonsalves' painting with the sailing ship emerging), and then seeking for an evolution of the piece that represents first the "air" feeling (flute), then the gradual emergence of the ship (violin) over water (piano) while the air breathes or pulsates or otherwise represents the arches, ending with a celebratory feeling with all 3 instruments.

This is an initial plan which we can decide to modify at any time.

In case that this is just the first piece in a series, then we can use the dialog idea for one of the future pieces.

Thank you, Gregorio!

gregorio X said:

(Yes, i haven' t read his books.. and certainly don't know much in that area.. but i did attend a few of his 'talks' - he had a poetic way of saying some ideas i'd never heard… that was quite some time ago..)

One thought occurred to me about the structuring - dividing of parts - in this endeavor, was, that if there was a dialogue say, between the wolf and the girl -  it would seem that a dialogue might have a back and forth - and may necessitate  building the phrases - sometimes, at somewhat close intervals, perhaps as things (may) get more dramatic.. And almost piecing it together - phrase by phrase…. writer by writer… Seems tricky to coordinate… perhaps you both have already worked that idea out… 

Cheers!

I posted the link to the whole playlist at the beginning of the current topic so you will always find latest videos there.

Today Sergey and Victor joined the Collaborative composition meetings!

Several important things happened:

1. Victor introduced 

2. Sergey talked about his vision of the painting:

- movement of cloud theme down to the ship,

- movement of bridge theme up to the sky. flute can completely disappear or transform into the wind

- increase in speed of transition to the right of the painting

- increase in details of the ship can be represented with more dense music texture

- cyclic setting and lowering of the sails in the last three ships from the right can be represented in the changes of the melody. Foam can be represented as violin provoking the piano

- cars on the bridge and foam below the ships look alien to the painting and can represent small side themes

- at the end of the piece only sea (piano) is left

- when looking from 2-dimensional point of view, yards of the ship's masts look descending, which can be represented in the music, although they are horizontal to the sea from 3-dimensional perspective.

3. Mariza showed the process of creating melody from the painting of sea and the bridge. I think, this can be an interesting source of melodies for the piece (but not the only source).

4. We discussed that we can follow more or less details in the picture and also we can postpone following details to the composition process (question is still open)

5. We discussed that we nee to find balance between imaginative approach and literal approach to a painting (question is still open).

6. We discussed some general characteristics of the painting, that should be represented in the music:

- Balanced, classical, calm

- Transition, metamorphosis, growth, development

- Trick, illusion

- Freedom, air

- Left part resembles minimalism in music

- Right part resembles romanticism in music

7. And most importantly, after a long discussion it became absolutely clear to all of the participants that Sergey is planning to become a composer to support the community. :)

I suggest the following plan:

1. Discuss general characteristics of the painting if we need to add some.

2. Discuss the variants of length and form of the music piece.

3. Discuss the characteristics of each parts of music piece (if any) in more detail - at first as we did it with general characteristics.

Added more general characteristics:

- Balanced, classical, calm, smooth

- Transition, metamorphosis, growth, development

- Trick, illusion, tickle imagination, inspire intuitive mind, destroyed reality

- Freedom, air

- Left part resembles minimalism in music

- Right part resembles romanticism in music

Also an idea from analysis: Establishing the ships as the negative space of the arches under the aqueduct. The aqueduct is a blue silhouette on the left, and that color becomes the sky on the right. The choice to use just blues and whites make the illusion smooth and simple.

https://williara.wordpress.com/2012/10/16/analysis-of-the-sun-sets-...

[making some needed corrections to my previous post]
Oh, it's an aqueduct!

Alexey, please google images for "Lisbon aqueduct".

Now about the title "The Sun Sets Sail." Even there, we have 2 possible interpretations. It seems to suggest a sunrise, if we're setting sail... yet the phrase contains "Sunset" in it.

If it's a sunrise, we're setting sail toward northwest, like Lisbon to Canada. If it's a sunset, then we're setting sail to the southeast, like Canada to Lisbon. The former seems to make sense if that's the Lisbon aqueduct. The aqueduct was built in the 18th Century (where previously had existed a Roman aqueduct),and I don't know whether that makes it newer, older, or contemporary with that ship (haven't had time to research it...).

Excellent work, all.

These sound like wonderful exchanges.  I haven't been able to attend one, since it doesn't happen at a convenient time for me; just a matter of bad luck.

I wonder if it could be recorded and posted somewhere, as people do on Lifestream feeds, UStream, vimeo or similar sites.

Thanks very much for the summary.  It all sounds great.

OO,

Thanks. The newest video (from this morning) is posted on the header.  If you watch it on Youtube, you will see a list of the 2 previous ones (plus some related videos about collaboration in composing).

If you find the time, you will be most welcome to join us.  I know Alexey would like it, too.  You too, Gregorio.  But no pressure.

It's certainly fun.  Hopefully we will start writing music soon.  We have also written to the painter (Rob Gonsalves), via his painting gallery, to see whether there's any chance he'd be interested in participating.

I am glad to announce that the project is alive and Mariza and I continue to work on the music piece. There were some problems with time, so currently we only have some sketches and we are still thinking how to modify/reoder them (4 minutes total). You will see all our latest webcasts above in the post.

I must admit that Mariza and I are not professional composers, but we try to develop. Please join if you want to make suggestions. I am planning to make more collaborative projects later, please write to me if you are interested to participate.

We decided to create a page for our project here:

http://arkhipenko.weebly.com/music/virtal-the-sun-sets-sail

Hi Mariza and Alexey.

I liked all the material so far. Full of nice melodic and harmonic ideas , but I also felt the need for more determined modulation to other tonal centers at some places.

Here is a rough Sibelius rendering of your XML in mp3.

Nice your page, btw, I bookmarked it.

Keep up the good work! I am following with interest.

it seems to be taking a long time to upload a 3.88 mb file!

No it does not upload it although is halg the allowed size.

Sorry, I'll try again later

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service